Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new project
Started an ambient music project today. Never really created 'ambient' music before so here goes. Working title is 'Ephemera' - according to dictionaries I looked at online, ephemera are things that are only intended to be enjoyed or used for a short time. So a collective of short tracks is going to be the format. Well that's the plan anyway. Let's see what pops out of the ideas fairy's head...
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
Oh boy, have I been having fun lately. My main DAW PC starting acting weirdly - rebooting spontaneously, shutting down unexpectedly etc. etc. So for the last two months I have been trying to figure out what the hell is going on. My 1st hard drive crashed at one point and I had to reload the operating system. Then all the different software packages and virtual instruments have to be re-installed. This is going to take months to complete. We are talking hundreds of different instruments, software packages etc. etc. One instrument alone took 38 hours to re-install from the web - Omnisphere 2. Fortunately my secondary drives were still intact so I have not lost any of the original music projects - yet! So I started with the power supply - tested it but could not find any problem with the voltages or any signs of overheating etc. etc. Then I started disconnecting peripheral devices one by one starting with all the instruments & sound modules on the MIDI network - no good. Disconnected the internal CD drive - no good. Changed out all the RAM modules - no good. Disconnected all monitoring speakers - both nearfield and normal ones - no good. Checked all the cabling and other bits and pieces in the studio - no good. Changed out mice, keyboard, USB hubs etc. etc. - no good. So I was stumped. The PC was still acting like a petulant child every now and then and I risked damaging the main hard drive all over gain so I cloned the drive and stored the image on a NAS device - just in case. At one point, while the PC was actually behaving I was listening to a piece of music - The 'Seconds Out' remastered album by Genesis and I thought somebody has screwed up the remastering because I could hear a distinct 'click', very faintly every now and then in the background, and not at regular intervals either. And then I realised where the problem was coming from. My main sound module was starting to pack up and was causing the problem. At times it would work fine for hours on end and at other times it would just throw all the toys out the cot repeatedly. Disconnected the sound module permanently and used another audio device that I have in a piece of gear I don't ever use. Problem solved!!! Hallelujah. When I opened up the sound module there was one capacitor on the main board that was starting to burst open - the root cause of all the trouble. It now lives happily in file 13 land. And I have now been able to quit the therapy sessions...
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
OMG
No freaking way
I would have just found a new hobby

LOL - we have to do what we have to do. And I hate being beaten by a dumb PC so I persevere. In the process I did manage to start another hobby. Experimenting with mixing different cocktails. It helped me forget about the first hobby!
^^
just glad you didnt lose your music, that would have been a tragedy of biblical proportions for you for sure.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Just a hobby Crazy, and not too many people like it, so it's face value is negligible - but yes it would have pissed me off no end.
I abandoned the 'ambient' music project in favour of something a little different. For me anyway. An album of ethnic/classical instruments blended with modern synths. No working title yet. Still have to think that one up along the way somewhere. Found this site while cruising around the web. An Australian outfit that makes really good sampler instruments.

https://www.evolutionseries.com/

Bought a couple of instruments off them this morning. Busy downloading at the moment but it will take some time to learn these things. Only have the opening movement partially completed at this stage. Where's the ideas fairy when you need her...
^^
buy her a platter of European cheeses and a bottle of dry red and im sure she will turn up around midnight
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Geez, now why didn't I think of that?
I have finished the first section of my new, yet unamed, project but I am not going to post these pieces until I have finished the whole thing. Found quite a few bits and pieces lying around on various hard drives. These are all pieces I started and then got bored with and moved onto something else but I realise now I can make use of some of them if I take the time to develop them a bit. Time will tell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm working on a project, please opinions and reviews - "Summer on you" ET MUSIX 2 1,309 11-11-2016, 17:42
Last Post: ET MUSIX
  The Twisted Project - Over The Bridge The Twisted Project 2 1,580 06-04-2014, 20:32
Last Post: The Twisted Project
  The Twisted Project - Bow Down The Twisted Project 0 1,128 02-04-2014, 21:04
  The Twisted Project - Under Continuous Fire The Twisted Project 2 1,360 23-03-2014, 19:32
  The EDM Project theEDMproject 3 1,876 08-08-2012, 02:15
Last Post: suzy7