Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Will give this a whirl tomorrow.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
[Image: 220px-BobMarley%26theWailersNattyDread.jpg]

BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS  "natty dread" cd, 1974

their seventh...
from the box set i bought a year or so ago containing all of his "islands records" albums...
i was never a big fan of reggae overall but i thought there would be enough likeable songs on the boxset to enjoy or at least get a feel for Marley as an artist...
not a fan of this album though but there are a few tracks i like including "no woman no cry" and my favourite track "rebel music" which is almost seven minutes long...
at least half this album is boring musically, well to be perfectly honest, most reggae sounds the same, the only difference is when you have intelligent lyrics and Marley has that on his side....
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

fave:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Another Jordi Savall concert - with Hesperion XXI ...

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
The Idan Raichel Project - Tower of Light. A new album that was released on 6th February this year with little fanfare outside of Israel, it would seem. I can't find any English entries for it other than on Discogs so have been employing Google translate to get the gist of things from the lyrics that are posted on YouTube. This album sounds like the early project albums - I love the sound of the oud and the various other instruments that hark back to ancient dust. It just gets to my soul somehow. This is a mix of live instruments and programming - effective, I think. All in Hebrew and only the first of the ten tracks is instrumental so it's been a bit of puzzle working it all out! However, I don't care that much about not knowing the language which in a strange kind of way, speaks for itself. There are some gorgeous vocals, both male and female - nothing overtly political although there is a lamenting for those who have vanished from the landscape. Perfectly human to feel such emotions. I've been very tired of run of the mill sounds lately, so it was good to listen to something outside of that spectrum. Also - they're so professional and well rehearsed. 

The instrumental opener ... Ara Dinkjian on the oud - Idan Raichel is a keys guy and multi-instrumentalist so he's pretty much played or programmed all the other stuff ... except the drum programming, in this instance, I think! 

With Roni Dalumi - 'Tachzor' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXAA96W1Ww - lovely voice

With Shai Tsabari - 'Lo Yashol Lichon' - 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Was not expecting to come across a 'new age' album by Boris Grebenshikov! But here it is ... Songs of Clear Light released in January this year. He is known for his interest in mysticism and is a bit of a student of religion/s so I suppose with that in mind, it shouldn't really be a huge surprise, although it was. It's kinda fascinating to find this particular Russian bear making a contribution to the genre considering he's the godfather of soviet underground rock. It was ok, strangely enough. Inoffensive and inducive of a good mood. Lots of repetition, as is the nature of chanting, but it didn't get tedious. Not your average wafty new age artist this one! Lol!

[Image: 220px-JoeJacksonWillPower.jpg]

JOE JACKSON  "will power" vinyl 1987

yup, its the "is she really going out with him" dude....
his eighth studio album...
a classical album and fully instrumental...
the critics panned it and fans avoided it like the plague (or covid if you will!)...
a couple of rock orientated tracks on the first side but strictly classical..
a pleasant listen whilst tidying up my music room and rearranging my shelving in there...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Today's pick - https://youtu.be/2zBV6AWvdr0?si=dm9VymLHJOwS6RXT
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi