Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the cost of copyrighting
Does anyone by any chance know of any discounts, grants, programs, scholarships, or even charities a financially struggling composer might apply for that might help someone curb the high cost of copyrighting a dozen or more songs?

Right now, on my budget, I can only afford to copyright one song a month. Maybe there is some advocacy group out there who will do it for free if I ask nicely and they like my work?

I'm probably dreaming, but, u know, it doesn't hurt to ask.:happy:
Many years ago I used to write software with a team of people in the UK. We had a problem with copyrights and costs, we took advice and were given the following solution to the problem.......................Take a copy of the item you wish to copyright , sign it and date it................put it in an envelop and seal it............send it to yourself by recorded delivery ( This is when you must sign for it when it is delivered ! ) Keep this sealed in a safe. If a copyright matter occurs take this to court and have it opened in court.................this will take the form of proof of the date at which you first documented that you had this idea or wrote this song......It is not expensive and in the UK works...................hope this helpsCool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
The sealed envelope method has log been referred to in the US as the "Poor Man's Copywrite". I use this method myself. I was advised by an attorney, however to sign the envelope across the seal as well.

Tejas
That sounds like a great idea! I'd much rather spend what little I have on much needed musical equipment than on a bunch of paperwork.

Thanks for the advice! I'm lovn this idea!Confusedmile:
yes, coming from a book publishing previous job role. This method was also used on published authors. In fact, several copies were often sent to different people, to provide a number of future copyright evidence.
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:
i wish it didn't cost money to claim your own work! :evil:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music What is the purpose of copyrighting your music? Copyright 3 1,341 20-04-2018, 21:35
Last Post: Jerome