Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
JonG Wrote:I realize that. You were mistaken! At least I think so, and I am always right about these things. :wink:
Like I said, you da man!Cool

listened online

[Image: 200px-Four_Tet_-_There_Is_Love_in_You_%28CD%29.jpg]

Gee, hope I don't get in trouble from the genre police again. This sure sounds electronic to me. Someone on here said this was great. My worst rating of the year proving once again how different tastes can be. Not knocking whoever likes it, just your taste in music, and the computer nerds that make it. Just record some electronic sound and loop it for eternity. UK born Kieran Hebden, formerly with the band Fridge goes by the name Four Tet. Opened for Radiohead on a 2003 tour. This is his fifth album.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

Worst Track - pick one

Best Track - none

1) Angel Echos - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - 1. Angel Echoes - Four Tet - There Is Love in You + Ringtone Download
2) Love Cry - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - Four Tet - Love Cry
3) Circling - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - Four Tet - Circling
4) Pablo's Heart - 1.0
5) Sing - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - Four Tet - sing
6) This Unfolds - 1.0
7) Reversing - 1.0 - audio
8) Plastic People - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - Four Tet - Plastic People
9) She Just Likes To Fight - 1.0 - audio
YouTube - Four Tet - She Just Likes To Fight

Average Rating - 1.0

I love Four Tet's new one and I plan to purchase it on CD.

I have a question for you Ed. It's not really specific to this one post. I bet that going in you know already that you won't like something. Why do you continue? For me there is so much music out there that I like that I don't think I'll ever listen to it all. So I don't waste time with say, the Black Eyed Peas latest.
Kontrolorgan - Beastface from Sun Shape Mirror [GhostDrome, 2010]
Quote:...It focuses on electronics and psychedelic drones. Some tracks are abrasive and others are soft and pleasing. Sparse, repetitious vocals are buried in the mixes. A few tracks even feature electric guitar...
JonG Wrote:I love Four Tet's new one and I plan to purchase it on CD.

I have a question for you Ed. It's not really specific to this one post. I bet that going in you know already that you won't like something. Why do you continue? For me there is so much music out there that I like that I don't think I'll ever listen to it all. So I don't waste time with say, the Black Eyed Peas latest.
Good question, and one which I used to get asked frequently when I was amongst the masses, before my hermit days commenced. I have this commitment issue. Once I start something, I finish it. Same way with books, movies, whatever. I had never heard Four Tet. I saw it out there on my site and remembered someone here mentioned it, so I listened to it from start to finish. I will not go back and listen to any of his previous work, nor will I listen to any future work unless I hear that it is different. In your example of Black Eyed Peas, you already know their work. Although I did not like that current album overall, there are a couple of songs that were ok, so I probably would give them another listen, even though unfortunately that negative bias would be present. So in answer to your question, no I did not know going in that I would not like Four Tet. Can you tell me what you like about it? Understand, I am not asking this to be critical of your answer, but in a sincere effort to understand why people like this. thanks Jon

I like many, many things. First, I've been a fan of Four Tet for years and own some of his previous work. I expected to like it going in. I like dance music, and while this album works for home listening it is dance music. I'll wager you don't favor dance music. Four Tet tested every one of these songs at a club he had a residency at during the making of the album. I like the sounds he uses to build his tracks - the static, crackles, snippets of voice, etc. And, without gushing on for too much longer, I love the rhythm of his work. This kind of music is meant to give a physical response first, then emotional, then maybe mental.

I think most people who don't respond to dance music prefer to think about the music instead of just react. They want lyrics that paint pictures in their mind. When there are no lyrics to focus on they have trouble approaching the music. Lacking vocals (such as with most classical and much jazz) they want complex music with much variation. Again, this music appeals to the mind first and the body second.

I rarely pay attention to lyrics myself. The vocals are just another instrument. Don't get me wrong, I love the human singing voice. But I don't need to be told a story through words in each song.
thanks Jon

I will take this discussion over to the other thread you started on electronic music, so this thread can revert to what it's supposed to be. Sorry for corrupting it comrades.

Kyle Bobby Dunn - The Tributary (For Voices Lost) from A Young Person's Guide To Kyle Bobby Dunn [Low Point, 2010]
Quote:"This new Low Point edition takes the four original tracks from Kyle Bobby Dunn's Moodgadget album, Fervency, and expands upon them with a whole extra batch of material, enough to fill up a second CD. Perhaps because of the double-length formatting, Dunn's music seems even more closely aligned with Stars Of The Lid, acheving a similarly time-elongating effect with his deeply immersive treatments of guitar, strings and brass. But for the excellent closing track, 'Small Show Of Hands' the first disc corresponds to the Fervency playlist (excluding the Moodgadget-only Viul remix, of course), so let's delve into the second disc for the bulk of the new material: 'Grab (And Its Lost Legacies)' is an incredible opening piece, sounding like a gradually shifting layer of brass overtones, virtually frozen for eleven minutes. Exhibiting a little more variation and a broader tonal palette, 'Empty Gazing' suggests what it might sound like if Biosphere's produced a Harold Budd record, embedding repeated orchestral phrases in a dense clump of processed ambience. The quality keeps on coming with the painfully brief 'Last Minute Jest', which treats half-finished piano phrases in foggy delays, while arguably the finest piece is left until last: 'The Nightjar' rounds off this wonderful collection with a booming low-end presence and a beautifully blurry sequence of bowed chords that eventually dissolve into a mysterious dialogue recording. There are so many drone records around these days - and a good portion of these reach a pretty high standard - but with this one, you can rest assured that you're in for something very special."
- boomkat.com
I can often be found listening to Orbital when I feel a bout of Electronica coming on.
Yellow Swans - Foil from Being There [Type Records, 2010]

Can be described as noise, but not in the harsh on the ears sense. Also - psychedelic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What im listening to at the moment PsychoPrincess81 1 467 26-10-2021, 17:26
Last Post: JeromeD