Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Jumping the shark
#1
Name that particular album, change in lineup, change in style, or other point when you feel your favorite bands or musicians took a turn for the worse.
Reply
#2
nice one

I hate to be so dated (I know you guys think I'm some old fart that's out of touch). At times I would agree. But the most obvious choice to me would be the Bee Gees with that Saturday Night Fever, Stayin' Alive bullcrap. Actually the change probably came a little earlier around the Jive Talkin' stage, but SNF was the breaking point for me. I knew then we would never hear those beautiful sounds of Odessa again. But they live on in my head.

Reply
#3
U2 - The Joshua Tree

I'm probably in a minority of one on this one.
Reply
#4
Great thread..
Reply
#5
Post Final Cut Floyd.

No more Roger :mmph:
Reply
#6
Tiggi Wrote:Post Final Cut Floyd.

No more Roger :mmph:
good choice

Reply
#7
Floyd without Roger makes it one of the most incomplete bands in history.

But still I like The Division Bell. it was a decent effort without Roger.
Reply
#8
There is a few here I think are pretty obvious, When the Oz man left Sabbath, The GnR trainwreck.

I think the most tragic would be the loss of Cliff Burton from Metallica.

As one of the founding members of one of the big four thrash metal bands to explode in the early 80's, he put his stamp on music, defining a genre, and making the band and the time legendary.

Very proficient with his instrument and heavily influenced by NWOBHM with punk and classical influences into the mix, Cliff Burton had a huge influence in the music that Metallica produced.

During a tour in Europe to support their 1986 release "Master of Puppets" he was killed in an Bus accident. Even though as the band picked up another bassist the next album "...And Justice for All" was created by minds heavily influenced by Burton.

He was a man that did his own thing, going against the grain when other heavy music was really just amped up pop-rock. He wasn't one for videos and anything else that would make Metallica like all the other bands out there.

Then in 1991 we seen the release of their Self-Titled album. An album was was excellently produced but comparatively lacked. Followed by Load and Re-load.
During the 90's, Metallica became the mainstream powerhouse that Burton always disliked.

What was the one thing that happened to a band for the worst? A Bus Accident.
Reply


Forum Jump: