I'm a pro-keyboard player but have always used very basic keyboards (just piano sounds). I want a synth that I can create a world of sound on and use in live shows - something with great sounds, great beats, and with 88 keys (weighted keys would be amazing). I have no idea where to start.
Any brand suggestions or things I should look for would be very appreciated!
Thanks,
Kathryn
Posts: 43
Threads: 1
Joined: Mar 2010
I have a friend who plays a good one for weddings and whatnot.
I don't remember the brand but I'll try to ask him as I'm meeting up with him in a couple of days.
Posts: 201
Threads: 19
Joined: Apr 2010
I have a Privia PX_110 (Casio) - it's got 88 weighted keys and yet is not to heavy. It only has 8 instruments and has a beat/chord system (which I never use). I run the sound through a zoom g2 FX processor to get some really strange sounds and also it can hook through my laptop and I can use it with midi and softsynths.
For me, the most important parts are 88 keys, weighted, and midi in/out
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
pennywill Wrote:I have a Privia PX_110 (Casio) - it's got 88 weighted keys and yet is not to heavy. It only has 8 instruments and has a beat/chord system (which I never use). I run the sound through a zoom g2 FX processor to get some really strange sounds and also it can hook through my laptop and I can use it with midi and softsynths.
For me, the most important parts are 88 keys, weighted, and midi in/out
What does weighted mean?
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
Yamaha Motif seems to be in just about every studio - must be good but probably pricey too!
Posts: 201
Threads: 19
Joined: Apr 2010
Music Head Wrote:What does weighted mean?
The keys have a mechanism to simulate the weight (resistance) of an acoustic piano. Important for 'feel' as well as dynamics.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
I use a Roland A37 - no sounds, but use it to trigger various soft synths (Atmosphere/Trilogy/z3ta/ARP2600/and many many more.....) Great tool.
Posts: 311
Threads: 29
Joined: Jul 2013
Try the YAMAHA MOX8. Best price in it's category, and fantastic sounds.
Cogito, ergo sum...
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2014
I have Yamaha that fits to me because, MX series synthesizers feature carefully selected sounds taken from the Yamaha MOTIF XS. That powerful sonic palette is packed into sleek packages (available in 49- and 61-note versions) that fit today's on-the-go life style.
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Joined: Apr 2015
If we're talking about brands, in my opinion, Yamaha, Korg or Kurzweil will do. I'm not really into Roland but I guess more than one model could do as well.
Being more into models, for example, I think a Motif (either ES, XF,XS, you name it), a Kronos/Oasys or a K2500/K2600/PC3 will plently suit your needs .
Anyways, it's worth noting that as in many other instruments, knowing the amount of money you can spend is important to know what we could recommend you. Sure, any of those keyboards I mentioned are high-end and will be great for your interests, but they are pricey. Any of them. So you could have this in mind for helping you better, for example, recommending a controller and softsynths or a synthesizer like the MOX8 Bellini suggested.
Hope this is helpful. Regards!