Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
"Collector" Personality
#1
Mrs Tiggi sometimes tells me I'm addicted to music. More specifically that I'm addicted to collecting albums.

I don't agree. From my perspective I'm hurtling headlong through life with only limited time available to discover wonderful music, so I collect furiously.

I remember a Scottish friend telling me a few years ago that he thought I had a collector personality. On reflection, I think he had a point. I do like to collect things, but music is my first love.

Ring any bells ???
Reply
#2
Interesting.
Reply
#3
I guess I would be this type of person.
Music and books.
I'm addicted to both.
You already know of music collection, and at least I can say I've listened to them all, though some maybe not more than a few times.
Books are another story. I have boxes of them packed away with no place to put them. I've probably read half of what I've collected over the years.
Problem is the damn library. Every year they have a sale to clear out the old stuff. One dollar each. I usually end up getting about 50 books and never get around to half of them. Can't bring myself to part with them. Only thing that bothers me is when I'm gone, my kids will have to figure out how to dispose of them.

Reply
#4
There have been several good pieces of research done on collecting and the conclusions have been that there are genetic predispositions to being collectors .............eg there are genes involved in collector personalities......................it is also a gender issue with the genes more likely to be expressed in males ...................Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Reply
#5
I'm a total collector, even though I'm female, perhaps it's my male self expressing itself. I have boxes and boxes of stuff, like scraps of wool and fabric, doo dads of every description. I took an antique pump organ apart and kept all the parts, except the Bellows, they were too big. I'm sure I will become one of those crazy old ladies with ton's of useless junk...perhaps I'm already there :eek:



*note to self: Don't get any more cats :biggrin:
Reply
#6
The Gryphon household has lots of cats on the pay role:happy:Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Reply
#7
Rings a great BIG dingdong for me! I have lots of things stored in my bedroom in boxes and bags that I intend to sell on ebay - eventually! Have to get round to learning how to put pictures onto screen first but when it comes to any techy stuff I tend to procrastinate. Must say, however, my first few ventures have not been very successful at all..buyer wanted his money back and seller refused to accept a returns. Apart from that I have lots of "things to do" type hoards, like the canvas and wool waiting to be made into a rug, and the stuffing stuff ready for cushions. Ah well! There's always tomorrow!
Reply
#8
Have a house moggy that I look after and about ten strays that come around for food and a visit from time to time. Have a large CD collection - dumped vinyl ages ago. Do not really 'need' to collect stuff just so that I can say I own it. Don't care for possesions of any kind. Like to have the ablility to listen to what I want to, when I want to, and that is the only reason I own a CD collection at all. As for books, once I have read them I give them away - mainly to charity shops and such. An uncluttered life is a simpler life.
Reply
#9
its just music for me and dvds/blurays of movies i like...when i get told i spend too much on music, my response is: it could be excess of alcohol or drugs or hookers or gambling, but its not, its harmless and it doesnt hurt anyone.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#10
^ Mrs Tiggi doesn't complain too much, and always maintains that it's a benign passion.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Food tests - personality test tigerwood 7 3,063 10-01-2012, 14:00
Last Post: Jerome

Forum Jump: