Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sorry State of UK Record Shops
I had a voucher for HMV on my birthday, so went into town at lunch time to purchase a CD. I'm amazed they do any business !!

In terms of music, the selection was absolutely woeful. I decided on a couple of fairly mainstream albums before going, one of which they didn't have in stock. The other was for sale at about twice the price I can get it from Amazon.

The only time i go into record shops now is to spend any vouchers I receive, and I don't see the situation improving.

What's it like where you are ??
No record stores around here that sell what I like...
Closest true music store to me is about 50 miles away and I rarely get there.
Anything mainstream I usually end up getting at Wal-Mart, but I don't go there specifically for that purpose.
Amazon for me.

In this part of Europe most chain stores who retail CDs etc are in decline ..........however good independent shops are still doing well .....we ahve two good ones within 50km and both have excellent ranges...............the interesting thing is both have expanding vinyl sections.............this is even true of the major retailers too.Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Brighton in the South Coast of England still has a couple of independent record stores stocking a wide variety of music except mainstream. But as Tiggi said, nothing in London I can find other than HMV. Shame Virgin Megastores went.
I believe record stores are on the decline the world over. The music business in general is a tired system and it is falling down. It has resisted changing for ten years or more now. Brick and mortar stores have to offer something new because they can't compete with internet selection and pricing.

The only record store that I visit frequently is an independent that has been in Atlanta for years. It recently moved to a larger location, so it is expanding. It sells CDs, records, DVDs, Blue-Ray, comicbooks and magazines. And it has a stage for live performances.
What's a record store???? :noidea:
Are you serious?
I don't think Penny was serious, and she does have a valid point.
I've always resisted the fact that they still refer to any recorded music as records.
The word record used in that form is vinyl.
I know you can still buy some releases on vinyl, and some have referred to that format being readily available.
In music stores in the states, it is very rare to find new releases on vinyl. At least where I've been.
Some stores do have a used record section.

Iota Wrote:Are you serious?

I'm NEVER serious :biggrin:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Absolutely Futile Record Collection Analysis Tiggi 21 3,584 10-10-2021, 06:33
Last Post: JeromeD
  Wham! set chart record in the UK. CRAZY-HORSE 0 413 02-01-2021, 07:57
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Vance Joy smashes ARIA record.... CRAZY-HORSE 1 853 15-05-2015, 22:50
Last Post: SteveO
  How can I find an artist that was off the record? ceciliovictor 2 989 18-03-2015, 04:32
Last Post: ceciliovictor
  70's themed music video with a chic, vintage beetle & marconiphone record player :-) Muso1070 5 2,161 27-12-2014, 18:10
Last Post: Muso1070
  Record Label Instrumentals poplover 1 895 03-11-2014, 06:11
Last Post: jazzboCR
  I put hot sauce and malt liquor on a record and sampled it. Check it out :3 whiskeydorito 1 969 25-05-2014, 20:04
Last Post: jazzboCR
  PAUL WELLER on record store day' exploitation CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,276 09-05-2014, 19:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  50 State's Project PennyLane 0 687 15-05-2013, 21:14
Last Post: PennyLane
  Old record MadandPeaceful 2 784 13-01-2013, 11:16
Last Post: MadandPeaceful