Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What happened to the 80s?
#1
Let's take a poll. Who was around in the eighties, and what were you doing! Seems to me that history tells a very different tale than what I recall. Could be just brain damage I sustained at the time, but what I recall and what the historians of wikipedia et al say don't always align. Am I alone in this?:confused:
Reply
#2
Don't quite get what you mean.

If you mean that the '80s didn't seem particularly good musically, and that the received critics wisdom is that '80s music was vibrant, alive, & vital, then I'd have to disagree.
Reply
#3
No, actually I loved the 80s music. Well the more, underground scene. There was a lot of crap in the mainstream at the time, but you could avoid it. But you read about it now and it seems like everything was so organized and categorized, I don't remember it being that way. Maybe it's a geographical thing but I remeber you had the headbangers, some left-over disco types, new wavers and punks. Nobody really wanted to be categorized beyond that. Except maybe skins, who seemed to be complete opposites on each side of " the pond". But that's another matter. I guess I just remember, or want to remember the whole thing as more spontaneous.
Reply
#4
Ahh!! the 80's!!!!!..

The decade of The Breakfast Club.
Reply
#5
Yes, the breakfast club. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. And a tear to my other eye when I realize that it was made a quarter century ago.
Reply
#6
I think watching the Breakfast Club about a month ago precipitated this thread. Simple Mind takes me back! Definitely not Emilio's best role though. I prefered him in Repo Man. Also a very good soundtrack
Reply
#7
You really miss the 80's don't you??..

Why so, life's too hard this decade???.. I think you need a wayback machine badly...
Reply
#8
You Are probably right, carbon psycho. Must be a mid-life crisis (again ... still .. whatever) brought on by my birthday, again. When I saw The Breakfast Club the first time was at two buck Tuesday when it was in theaters, I was 22 and still very much in my youth. It was a happening decade really, the end of apartheid, the end of the cold war, space shuttle launches and all. Maybe I got lost in the 80s, for completely selfish reasons, but you gotta admit it was a great time to be a teen/early twenty's. Not that these days are bad but with so many of our youth coming back from the middle east in pine boxes, and no overt protest? What's going on! they were indeed happier times
Reply
#9
I was born in 80's.. but I experienced the 80's in 90's.. & I am proud to be a child of the 80's though I experienced the era a decade later.. no regrets..
We have a time machine in our head, our memories are priceless and powerful...

I have a hard time fitting in with people my age... my tastes are of a different age.. I can't stand hip hop.... but still I am glad I have the ability to experience the culture of yesteryears rather than force myself to do what oters do.. I have a choice..

As for your scene, I wish I could suggest something... But.. Such is life!
Reply
#10
Hey carbon psycho, always good to meet someone who can't stand hip-hop. It is what it is, and it's beyond your control. Even though, to me, it's a huge step backwards I gues it's what it's supposed to be. Thanks man. You reminded me the most important thing ... Choice.
P.S. Where is that wayback machine?
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened to old school band the Silverchair? gustavowoltmann01 2 2,293 26-11-2016, 13:51
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: