Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NME
A few thoughts on the weekly UK music paper.

I started out reading Sounds, a rival paper, because it was a best fit for the music I was listening to at about age 16.

Soon migrated to the NME, despite it's heavy focus on Post-Punk - which I couldn't get my head round at the time - because of the diversity of music covered.

At a young age, I was reading about Miles Davis, Fela Kuti, Lee Scratch Perry, and other exotic artists. My interest in Jazz was sparked by the NME, along with countless other interesting avenues of exploration.

The paper's peak was probably around this time as far as I'm concerned, and for a teenager, the paper seemed to be the epitome of cool. The paper had a stellar cast of jounalists, including editor Ian Penman, Paul Morley, Charles Shaar Murray, Nick Kent, and hip young gunslinger couple, Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons (who cordoned their corner of the office off with barbed wire...). This lot took no prisoners, weren't afraid to trash reputations, and spoke as they found. I remember a Paul Morley interview with Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead. Morley had set out to ridicule Garcia as a dinosaur, but came away from the interview with a warm respect for the old hippy.

Another interview from that time (can't remember interviewer) with Phil Collins, was pretty ruthless, and had Collins agreeing that his latest album wasn't up to much at all. Astonishing to me, at that time.

Anyway, I stuck with the paper through some undignified phases where the journalists only really seemed interested in ensuring their places in history by identifying the next big movement, and new genres were created on an almost weekly basis.

Gave up on the paper about 10 years ago, because I thought they'd lost the plot, since they were becoming increasingly wilfully obscure and contrary in their recommendations. Felt more like a fashion paper.

Despite that, I owe much to the NME for the education I received in what's good in the world of music.

Long live the NME...
Try 'The Wire' - bit obscure but quite interesting. Never liked NME - they hardly ever listened to anything they criticised. MM was better in my opinion. One of the best magazines, although more concerned with the technicalities of recording and new gear is Sound on Sound. Been around a long time and every now and then gives some great insight into how things were, and are, being done. There seems to be a massive shift towards leaving digital behind and trying to regain that old analogue sound. The wheel turns.
Interesting topic Mr Tiggi
Currently I don't read any mags in their hard copy form, as with most of us probably. All of mine is done online.
In my earlier years I went through quite a few.
Starting with Rolling Stone of course. Not much available back then. I did eagerly look forward to it however often it came out. Bought at the local newstand initially, but eventually subscribed. My favorite feature was always the album reviews. Others I have been a regular reader of were Spin, Crawdaddy, Trouser Press, NME, Melody Maker. Probably others I have forgotten.

I currently subscribe to UK monthly MOJO, which is an excellent source of slightly left-field album reviews. Used to subscribe to Uncut also, but became tired of editor Alan Jones' name-dropping approach. His work seemed to be more about self-promotion than the artists the mag was covering.
Find myself reading Mojo now-a-days....................Tends to be a bit glossy in its approach but it does cover the sort of thing I like to find out aboutCool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
i used to read NME,back in the day it was the only way to know what was happening with The Jam/Style Council and British musi in general, i used to get it sent airmail every week, otherwise it took 8-10 weeks to get it in regular newsagents,then i'd order what records i wanted at an import record shop in Perth. i went off it around 1988ish. im now like Ed, get most of what i need from online, i still have a shortcut on my laptop for NME.
i occasionally buy Rolling Stone,Uncut,Mojo and Record Collector magazines if theres an interview that takes my fancy.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I don't mind NME actually although they do seem to take themselves very seriously.

The only music magazine I read regularly is the locally produced 'AU' (Alternative Ulster) - which is both really well produced, written with wit and now free. I live in fear of this disappearing!

Have a look - http://iheartau.com/