not as bad as I expected, but still, not for me

Grade - 1.4

released Nov 30th, 2010

[Image: o97340ozmxe.jpg]

from the album - Holding You Down (Goin' In Circles) - grade 1.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZl9WCHjnc

from all music

Bio

Contemporary R&B star Jazmine Sullivan spent several years learning the ropes of the recording industry before signing to J Records and making her solo recording debut in 2008 with the number one R&B single "Need U Bad." The Philadelphia-based singer/songwriter began her career at a young age, making her national television debut on Showtime at the Apollo at age 11 and signing to Jive Records at age 15. Her stint at Jive lasted only a couple years, however, and she was dropped by the label before any recordings were released. In the wake of this disappointment, she began working behind the scenes, for instance working with Missy Elliott on productions for Fantasia's debut album, Free Yourself (2004), and writing a couple songs for Christina Milian's third album, So Amazin' (2006), including the hit single "Say I." Sullivan was then offered a solo recording contract with J, which released her debut single, "Need U Bad," featuring and co-produced by Missy Elliott, in 2008. Fearless, her debut album, featuring productions by Salaam Remi and Stargate, among others, was issued that September. It topped the R&B chart and crossed over to reach number six on the Billboard 200, aided by "Bust Your Windows" and "Lions, Tigers & Bears" -- both of which went into the Top Ten of the R&B chart. Sullivan followed it up with November 2010's Love Me Back, which was previewed with the July single "Holding You Down (Goin' in Circles)."

Album Review

One of the fears Jazmine Sullivan expressed near the end of her debut was that of being dropped by her label. Three remarkably distinctive Hot 100 singles, gold album sales, and five Grammy nominations later, the singer/songwriter’s safety was ensured. Thankfully, the J label isn’t merely keeping Sullivan around but allowing her to remain her creative, imaginative self. Odds are that no other major-label R&B singer would be allowed to record a song like “Redemption,” in which Sullivan raps cold-eyed in the first person as a female crack addict and as a male woman-beater while breaking up the tales with a fraught gospel chorus. None of Sullivan’s contemporaries could possibly pull off “Stuttering” -- a gimmicky but palpable piano-led ballad conveying anxiety over a romantic interest -- without sounding like clumsy comedy. Love Me Back is, by no means, strictly experiments. Those who dug Fearless' throwback soul have plenty to soak up. The Missy-produced, Manhattans-sampling “Excuse Me” is Sullivan’s most gorgeous in-love song yet, while the scorned-lover “10 Seconds” makes the ultimate case for her frequent in-the-red mode, which always serves the song; when you’re bugging out, “throwing and breaking shit,” and threatening to get your mom and cousins involved, there’s no sense in trying to be the least bit restrained or cool about it. And then, just a couple songs later, perhaps as a way to prove that she can pull back, she adds the meringue to the impeccable synthetic pop-funk of “Don’t Make Me Wait” like it’s nothing, mentioning Vanity 6 in the hook as she lures a one-night stand. After factoring in the fictitious post-breakup duet with Ne-Yo (which is more like a verbal joust), the self-flagellating “Holding You Down (Goin’ in Circles)” (a collision of oft-used samples and references that does not sound the least bit tired), and the nakedly ambitious “Famous” (where she yearns for girls to want to be like her), it becomes increasingly clear that Love Me Back sprawls and stuns in equal measure.

Track Listing

1 Holding You Down (Goin' in Circles) Askey, Atkinson, Barnes, Blige, Combs… 3:36
2 10 Seconds Remi, Sullivan 3:07
3 Good Enough Harmon, Sullivan 4:02
4 Don't Make Me Wait McKinney, Miller, Sullivan, Vandross 3:29
5 Love You Long Time Remi, Sullivan 3:12
6 Redemption Bell, McKie, Sullivan 3:51
7 Excuse Me Elliott, Germinaro, Lamb, Sands… 3:33
8 U Get on My Nerves Brandon Green, Smith, Sullivan 3:53
9 Stuttering Gad, Sullivan 3:10
10 Famous Ewing, Randolph, Sullivan, Wilson 4:43
11 Luv Back Davis, Elliott, Lamb, Riley, Sullivan 3:36

haha! im a malformer, but you are a copyright blocker MH
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:haha! im a malformer, but you are a copyright blocker MH
woops! sorry.
you didn't miss nothin'

Music Head Wrote:woops! sorry.
you didn't miss nothin'

i didnt think i would miss anything, but i still like to watch/listen....i like being surprised at liking something i didnt think i would like, i have made a note of the artist name in my 'listen to' notes, so i'll keep trying
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Here is the review I posted on Amazon,

I have waited with excited anticipation since I heard about the new album from Jazmine Sullivan. The much underappreciated Jazmine Sullivan. I find this work refreshing, exciting, and fun. The production is fresh and on point. The Hip-Hop influences are unmistakable, as is to be expected by the young artists of today. The influences are used in a very good way though. It is also unmistakable that the girl is influenced by good R&B music from other time periods as well.
Where so much of what comes out today is disposable, I find that Miss Sullivan's work sounds better the more I listen.
The ladies of R&B have been pretty strong this year, with Love Me Back by Jazmine Sullivan standing tall, proud and fierce.
pawdog Wrote:Here is the review I posted on Amazon,

I have waited with excited anticipation since I heard about the new album from Jazmine Sullivan. The much underappreciated Jazmine Sullivan. I find this work refreshing, exciting, and fun. The production is fresh and on point. The Hip-Hop influences are unmistakable, as is to be expected by the young artists of today. The influences are used in a very good way though. It is also unmistakable that the girl is influenced by good R&B music from other time periods as well.
Where so much of what comes out today is disposable, I find that Miss Sullivan's work sounds better the more I listen.
The ladies of R&B have been pretty strong this year, with Love Me Back by Jazmine Sullivan standing tall, proud and fierce.

nice review pawdog.
we need some r&b people here
stick around

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Destroy Lonely - Love Lasts Forever Music Head 0 45 12-09-2024, 12:10
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: D-12 "we back" CRAZY-HORSE 0 150 11-07-2024, 10:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Diddy - The Love Album: Off The Grid Music Head 0 365 30-09-2023, 11:30
  BEW ALBUM: Trippie Redd - A Love Letter To You 5 Music Head 2 923 24-08-2023, 17:27
  NEW ALBUM: Moneybagg Yo - Hard To Love Music Head 0 390 19-06-2023, 12:29
  NEW ALBUM: Yung Bleu - Love Scars II Music Head 0 366 28-04-2023, 12:15
  NEW ALBUM: Don Toliver - Love Sick Music Head 0 673 10-03-2023, 13:34
  NEW SONG: Finesse2Tymes - Back End Music Head 0 403 07-02-2023, 12:32
  NEW SONG: Bleu & Nicki Minaj - Love In The Way Music Head 0 206 02-10-2022, 11:12
  NEW ALBUM: Mac Miller - I Love Life, Thank You Music Head 0 668 06-08-2022, 13:12