Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Most people have at least one genre of music that they can't stand. For me that has always been Country, mostly because of my stereotyped view that it was all Dolly Parton, & sequined clothes, & people trying to look like gunfighters, and songs about death, loss, & misery. I now realise the error of my ways, and am trying to reach an accomodation with country music.What are the musical no-go areas for you, and why ??...And if you're a younger member, do you think you're more or less likely to be dismissive of genres which aren't your favourites ??
Trance. But maybe I haven't listened to some decent Trance yet.
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
Jazz - I put this down to a really awful clarinet teacher I had in my formative years who was jazz-obsessed. I became determined not to like it and I've never given it a chance.
Maybe someday - but not today.
Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
I can't even understand someone hating jazz, especially as it's the foundation of rock music. But eh, that's just me.
There's quite a few genres I won't touch... Trance is one of them... And emo-ey punk and most post hardcore.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
I thought you might comment!
To be honest I know it's an unfair mental block and I actually feel quite bad about it.
I was going to ask you to recommend some jazz a few days ago but no - apparently 20 plus years is still too soon - that guy messed me up!
And hey - how can you not like emo? (joke!)
Posts: 838
Threads: 11
Joined: Jan 2008
There aren't any outright genres of music that I don't like. There may be some narrowly defined sub-genres and styles of music that I don't care for.
I used to widely dismiss bluegrass. That was until I heard/saw some talented bluegrass bands perform. Now I'm still not going to go out and buy a bluegrass record, but I appreciate the stuff.
Everytime I have said I hate "___" I end up having to eat my words. There's just certain styles I like less than others. As others have said in this thread, when you think you don't like a style or genre of music its usually because you haven't been exposed to enough of it. Or not in the right context/way.
Posts: 27
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
Polka rap - you weren't joking?
http://www.letspolka.com/2006/11/bizarro...lka-video/
Bit of a dodgy video though
Posts: 954
Threads: 182
Joined: Dec 2007
I am not keen on this Bangra music.
With Regards...
Anthony :coffee:
Posts: 52
Threads: 5
Joined: Jul 2008
I've never liked country. I don't see this changing. I also don't like drone or really heavy math rock. Lighter math rock is great, though. Most metal sounds really terrible to me as well.