Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
basically, im not really up on this technology but i need to be:confused:
a) what is the difference between these two items?
b)which one do you reccomend as best value or quality?
i was looking at a 160G ipod the other day, but i dont trust salesmen, they say anything to sell a product
i want to store as much of my music in a new format as possible, so whats your advice
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
No experience with an ipod.
I'm sure there are other differences but the only one I know is ipod is an Apple product I think, whereas mp3 is generic to encompass all brands.
I continue to resent the fact that people use the name ipod when referring to any mp3.
I have a Philips Go-Gear. Only 4gb, but it suits me fine. I have no need to store thousands of tunes at once.
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Ed's got it right. I-Pod is Apple's brand name for their MP3 players.
There are no sound quality differences between the two, but both can have music encoded at different bit rates. Low bit rate = poorest quality, high bit rate = better quality. I encode mine using Apple Lossless, and on an 8 Gig i-Pod Nano this equates to about 25 albums. If I wanted to sacrifice sound quality, I could probably double that number.
The 160 Gig models are usually hard-drive storage, and I can't offer any info about their life-span. The lower models use flash memory which may have a longer lifespan.
I'll qualify all the above by saying that I'm no expert...
christturner
Unregistered
There is no difference between the two but if you want to be in style, you go with the iPod.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
thanks guys for your input
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
well, i didnt have to buy an ipod in the end, had a work colleague updating his 120GB to a 160GB for videos/tv shows etc and he gave me his for $50, excellant value, just deleted all his material and am loading up mine now, just done "neil young" now onto "everybody knows this is nowhere"..."after the goldrush" is next, and so it goes
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
And So It Goes
cool, that's a Nick Lowe song I think, good choice
glad you got one.
Haven't touched mine in probably 6 months
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
its probably going to be a passing fad but at least i'll get most if not all my cds on it eventually....including Nick Lowe.
its mainly for using at work so i dont have to listen to BS whinging by other tradesmen all day, i can do my work and live in my own little world.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:its probably going to be a passing fad but at least i'll get most if not all my cds on it eventually....including Nick Lowe.
its mainly for using at work so i dont have to listen to BS whinging by other tradesmen all day, i can do my work and live in my own little world.
not knocking them
I'm sure I would use mine in a similar environment.
since I never go anywhere, I have no use
I may load it up for my upcoming trip
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
do you all see why i hate the term "genres" now?
apparently, the first six Neil Young albums are "country/folk" according to itunes???? really? i never thought of "tonights the night" or "on the beach" were country/folk!...i could be wrong but i am pretty sure only "harvest" fits that genre....what would i know, im just human, its impossible to argue with a stupid automated chip!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
|