Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Sword... metal or rock and roll??
#11
Quote:Pardon? Music should always matter. To all. It is one of VERY few things that has the ability to bring so many people together for the love of one thing. Just saying. :redface:

Appealing to popularity is an awful logical fallacy. I tend to agree with Iota in regard to statements like that... Half-baked sentimentality is more annoying than anything.

That said, I have had a tendency in the past to feel a desire to pigeonhole the "genre" of musicians that I like, though at the end of the day I don't really feel that it matters. Prioritizing and marginalizing music based purely on these odd little indexes just doesn't make sense to me anymore, as pretentious as that sounds.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Reply
#12
Putting music into categories can certainly be overdone. But it helps to put them into perspective and makes for easy reference points. Instead of trying to go into detail describing The Sword's sound I can just say "they have kinda a 70's era heavy metal sound". Or, "they sound like Black Sabbath but more contemporary". It saves quite a bit of time.

It is difficult to describe sound. But we can't all be uploading mp3 samples to the board!
Reply
#13
ya all in all genres dont even matter you know wat sounds good to you so y does it matter if its catogorized.
Reply
#14
underclass hero Wrote:ya all in all genres dont even matter you know wat sounds good to you so y does it matter if its catogorized.

I just explained in my post before yours why it does matter. Also, do you know I have to read your posts three or four times to translate them into English?
Reply
#15
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
JonG Wrote:I just explained in my post before yours why it does matter. Also, do you know I have to read your posts three or four times to translate them into English?

Hey ease off the guy please. I'm mean I am on your side about the whole genres making things more simple. I mean heck that would be like if libraries just put books on the shelf where ever, you'd never find anything that way. However, the guy does have a right to express his exasperation with the categorization of things. I mean as you said yourself it can get a bit ridiculous. (Plus... and I've always wondered this..... who decides what sound goes in what genre, because I mean, some have a somewhat transversal sound, they could belong to many genres, so who decides? is there a committee that must listen to every song and then pick a genre if so I feel sorry for them because they must hear some pretty crappy stuff) Just wondering. Muchas gracias![/COLOR][/SIZE]
:blah:
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]-[COLOR="Teal"]keep it heavy

Rock N' Roll Chick[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
:rockon:
Reply
#16
rocknrollchick Wrote:Hey ease off the guy please. I'm mean I am on your side about the whole genres making things more simple. I mean heck that would be like if libraries just put books on the shelf where ever, you'd never find anything that way. However, the guy does have a right to express his exasperation with the categorization of things. I mean as you said yourself it can get a bit ridiculous. (Plus... and I've always wondered this..... who decides what sound goes in what genre, because I mean, some have a somewhat transversal sound, they could belong to many genres, so who decides? is there a committee that must listen to every song and then pick a genre if so I feel sorry for them because they must hear some pretty crappy stuff) Just wondering. Muchas gracias!:blah:
u do have a point i understand main genres and stuff but are all the little subgenres neccisary.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW SONG: Jelly Roll - Heart Of Stone Music Head 0 1,864 31-08-2025, 11:35
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Jelly Roll - Liar Music Head 0 977 20-08-2024, 11:00
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Falling In Reverse & Jelly Roll - All My Life Music Head 1 1,871 24-06-2024, 12:47
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SONG: Jelly Roll - Halfway To Hell Music Head 1 2,047 20-04-2024, 13:28
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Lucinda Williams - Stories From A Rock N Roll Heart Music Head 0 919 17-07-2023, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Jelly Roll - Need A Favor Music Head 3 1,914 16-04-2023, 23:16
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: RICK WAKEMAN & The English Rock Ensemble ~ A Gallery of the Imagination Ruby 9 3,316 26-03-2023, 13:42
Last Post: JeromeD
  NEW SONG: Donovan & David Gilmour - Rock Me Ruby 1 1,090 15-12-2022, 10:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kid Rock - "bad attitude" CRAZY-HORSE 0 857 23-03-2022, 12:22
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEWSINGLE: Kid Rock - dont tell me how to live. CRAZY-HORSE 0 757 24-11-2021, 13:12
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: