Posts: 15
Threads: 3
Joined: Feb 2009
I would have agreed with the orignal post... 6 months ago. But I keep forcing myself to revisit them. About 3 months ago, I came across a torrent of their entire catalog encoded at 320k. I figured I'd give the catalog a listen in its entirety. Smart move on my part. I'm slooooooooowly starting to see the greatness of the Stones. Not the whole catalog, but I think that period from 71-75ish was very important to rock and roll. At that time Zeppelin was moving away from a more heavily blues influenced sound and the Stones were embracing it further. Blues is an important part of rock and roll, they kind of never forgot that when everyone else did.
With that said, I totally agree with Jerome and gyphon.
"Music is amazing. There's some metaphysical comfort where it allows you to be isolated and alone while telling you that you are not alone... truly, the only cure for sadness is to share it with someone else. " © Wayne Coyne
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2011
In the end it's all about personal opinion. But there's no harm in sharing what I think 
I agree that the Rolling Stones are too overrated. They do not feel solid to me ... I don't really know how to explain it. However, I still like them a great deal, and I think they're pretty good. For me, their music requires patience. I didn't instantly like a lot of their stuff, but then for some reason I couldn't stop listening to them. So, I continued to listen to them, and I discovered something within their music. They've actually made a lot of good tracks that aren't widely known. One such example of this is "She Smiled Sweetly" which is on their Between the Buttons album.. I think XD. Also, a good band does not have to have intricate,speedy, or complicated riffs/guitar playing.  We also have to give them credit for their part in introducing "black music" (blues, soul, all that) to white audiences in America.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
pandasinger Wrote:In the end it's all about personal opinion. But there's no harm in sharing what I think 
I agree that the Rolling Stones are too overrated. They do not feel solid to me ... I don't really know how to explain it. However, I still like them a great deal, and I think they're pretty good. For me, their music requires patience. I didn't instantly like a lot of their stuff, but then for some reason I couldn't stop listening to them. So, I continued to listen to them, and I discovered something within their music. They've actually made a lot of good tracks that aren't widely known. One such example of this is "She Smiled Sweetly" which is on their Between the Buttons album.. I think XD. Also, a good band does not have to have intricate,speedy, or complicated riffs/guitar playing. We also have to give them credit for their part in introducing "black music" (blues, soul, all that) to white audiences in America.
well done!, nice opinion Panda...one thing you'll notice here is that we dont attack you for your opinions, we're a friendly bunch
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
Goats Head Soup - Angie is a classic.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
not a huge Stones fan but i think "angie" is their best song, not sure if anyone else agrees but "waiting on a friend" from Tattoo you is another great Stones track i love
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Rock and Roll Roadmaps
Unregistered
I'm not sure how you could deny the impact, and therefore the importance of The Stones. I never was a huge Stones fan, but they had so many HUGE songs. How many bands are fortunate enough to have 2 or 3 hits over their lifetime? You can look at any of the Stones earlier albums and find at least that many on each one. The fact that they sell out concerts dozens of years after their last big hit pretty much sums up their importance.
Posts: 53
Threads: 2
Joined: Mar 2011
The Stones have allus had decent material around - as befits a huge corporate machine with lots writers.
IF they had only quit, retired, in the seventies or early eighties, all would be well. Instead, they cut some huge deal with the gummint (as a monstrous source of tax money) and have continued on, putting at least a dozen solid good young acts out of work. )
After long enough, it feels like they are going against everything they ever supposedly stood for.
Posts: 19
Threads: 0
Joined: Apr 2011
I'd agree that the Rolling Stones are a good band but are overrated. I think they have 10-12 good songs, but when you consider how long they've been around, and how many albums they've done, that is not really that many. But if we're talking of the impact they made on rock, well then they are a major heavyweight.
But I wouldn't call them the most overrated rock band ever - that goes to Pink Floyd
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
OK each to their own - I think PF were the most original band ever. My label for most overrated band goes to U2. I do like their 'Joshua Tree' album, which I think is a classic, but their other albums are hopeless.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
The Rolling Stones are tagged with the label Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World ! What bands out there can touch that moniker in honesty? They were never a cerebral band like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and the lot,,,good old rauncy rock is their strength...and they do it well! They are a dynamic live band , full of energy, and still immensely popular. Their r n' b style has grown a bit tiring as far as studio albums are concerned, like many other artist of the sixties and seventies.
It didn't take too long for them to be inducted into the MD Hall of Fame !
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
|