Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
I have just been listening to Coil's cover version of 'Tainted Love'. I knew the Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson versions and wondered what other artists covered it - after checking on wiki, it looks like it has been covered 39 times!
So this started me thinking about cover versions - does anyone know any particularly good or bad ones? I think that it's rare that a cover sounds more inspired than the original but it's always interesting to listen to.
(shamefully I know the Christmas season starts for me when I start to play Mariah Carey's and then MCR's versions of 'All I want for Christmas is you')
Posts: 196
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2008
15-10-2008, 17:55
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2008, 18:05 by Palmer.)
GOOD:
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Tommy James & The Shondells)
Colin James - Into The Mystic (Van Morrison)
Brooks & Dunn - My Maria (B.W. Stevenson)
BAD:
Peal Jam / Eddie Vedder - Last Kiss (Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders)
Celine Dion and Anastacia - Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
Guns n’ Roses - Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney and Wings)
But if I were to take more time, I could add dozens more to each list. :
:
Posts: 15
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2008
15-10-2008, 18:06
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2008, 18:09 by chess mess.)
The only ones that come to mind are Devo's cover of Satisfaction (originally by the Rolling Stones, o' course) and Johnny Cash covering the Mercy Seat by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Both of which I like, personally.
edit:
I dislike Marilyn Manson and his covers, a lot. So I guess that can be my bad cover mention.
Posts: 196
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2008
chess mess Wrote:edit:
I dislike Marilyn Manson and his covers, a lot. So I guess that can be my bad cover mention.
Hey chess mess,
I had to have a little chuckle to myself at your comment. Truth be told I
DO NOT like Manson either. I can easily count the number of songs I "don't mind" by him on one hand, but those tracks came over time. Let me explain, my oldest daughter just LOVES Marilyn Manson, and over the years, as "Mom" I have sat and listened to his music a number of times with my daughter, as my way of bonding with my "then" teenager. :

:
Posts: 838
Threads: 11
Joined: Jan 2008
Occasionally a cover can outshine the original. Here's one that comes to mind:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen]
But of course covers aren't meant to be better than the original just a new take on it. I like it best when the cover artist fully makes the song their own. Johnny Cash excels at this.
Posts: 15
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen]
Jeff Buckley's death was the real great musical tragedy of the 90s, forget Cobain.
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
[SIZE=2]Good Versions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Johnny Was - Stiff Little Fingers (live version from 'Hanx') (Bob Marley)[/SIZE]
Tom Sawyer - MSI (Rush)
[SIZE=2]Basin Street Blues â Julie London (Louis Armstrong). [/SIZE]
I don't like the arrangement so much but her voice is just beautiful.
Jack The Ripper - White Stripes (Screamin' Lord Sutch)
and as for Hallejullah, I must agree with Iota -
Iota Wrote:Rufus Wainwright's cover's better.
Bad Versions
Song 2 - My Chemical Romance (Blur)
Whiskey In The Jar - traditional Irish - Thin Lizzy did a great version - but Metallica!
I Fought The Law - Dead Kennedys (The Clash)
Posts: 838
Threads: 11
Joined: Jan 2008
CMB1888 Wrote:I Fought The Law - Dead Kennedys (The Clash)
FYI,
I Fought the Law is a Sonny Curtis song. I think the first to perform it was the Bobby Fuller Four.