Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cover Versions
#1
I have just been listening to Coil's cover version of 'Tainted Love'. I knew the Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson versions and wondered what other artists covered it - after checking on wiki, it looks like it has been covered 39 times!

So this started me thinking about cover versions - does anyone know any particularly good or bad ones? I think that it's rare that a cover sounds more inspired than the original but it's always interesting to listen to.

(shamefully I know the Christmas season starts for me when I start to play Mariah Carey's and then MCR's versions of 'All I want for Christmas is you')
Reply
#2
CMB1888 Wrote:Idoes anyone know any particularly good or bad ones?

Good:

Tool - No Quarter (originally by Led Zeppelin)

Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)

Dropkick Murphy's - It's A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll) (AC/DC)

Thrice - The Earth Isn't Humming (Frodus)

Sunn O))) - F.W.T.B.T (I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton) (Metallica; FWTBT = For Whom The Bell Tolls)

...

Bad:

Most covers, but a particularly bad one is Daniel Küblböck's "interpretation" of The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Watch the video here...
Reply
#3
GOOD:

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Tommy James & The Shondells)
Colin James - Into The Mystic (Van Morrison)
Brooks & Dunn - My Maria (B.W. Stevenson)


BAD:


Peal Jam / Eddie Vedder - Last Kiss (Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders)
Celine Dion and Anastacia - Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
Guns n’ Roses - Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney and Wings)

But if I were to take more time, I could add dozens more to each list. :Wink:
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says ...
'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

http://www.theportalmagazine.com
http://www.myspace.com/theportalmagazine
http://www.twitter.com/theportalmag
http://www.myspace.com/sweetcjfan
Reply
#4
The only ones that come to mind are Devo's cover of Satisfaction (originally by the Rolling Stones, o' course) and Johnny Cash covering the Mercy Seat by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Both of which I like, personally.

edit:
I dislike Marilyn Manson and his covers, a lot. So I guess that can be my bad cover mention.
Reply
#5
chess mess Wrote:edit:
I dislike Marilyn Manson and his covers, a lot. So I guess that can be my bad cover mention.

Hey chess mess,
I had to have a little chuckle to myself at your comment. Truth be told I DO NOT like Manson either. I can easily count the number of songs I "don't mind" by him on one hand, but those tracks came over time. Let me explain, my oldest daughter just LOVES Marilyn Manson, and over the years, as "Mom" I have sat and listened to his music a number of times with my daughter, as my way of bonding with my "then" teenager. :Wink:
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says ...
'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

http://www.theportalmagazine.com
http://www.myspace.com/theportalmagazine
http://www.twitter.com/theportalmag
http://www.myspace.com/sweetcjfan
Reply
#6
Occasionally a cover can outshine the original. Here's one that comes to mind:

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen]

But of course covers aren't meant to be better than the original just a new take on it. I like it best when the cover artist fully makes the song their own. Johnny Cash excels at this.
Reply
#7
Quote:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen]

Jeff Buckley's death was the real great musical tragedy of the 90s, forget Cobain.
Reply
#8
JonG Wrote:Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen]

Rufus Wainwright's cover's better.
Reply
#9
[SIZE=2]Good Versions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Johnny Was - Stiff Little Fingers (live version from 'Hanx') (Bob Marley)[/SIZE]
Tom Sawyer - MSI (Rush)
[SIZE=2]Basin Street Blues – Julie London (Louis Armstrong). [/SIZE]I don't like the arrangement so much but her voice is just beautiful.
Jack The Ripper - White Stripes (Screamin' Lord Sutch)

and as for Hallejullah, I must agree with Iota -
Iota Wrote:Rufus Wainwright's cover's better.

Bad Versions

Song 2 - My Chemical Romance (Blur)
Whiskey In The Jar - traditional Irish - Thin Lizzy did a great version - but Metallica!
I Fought The Law - Dead Kennedys (The Clash)
Reply
#10
CMB1888 Wrote:I Fought The Law - Dead Kennedys (The Clash)

FYI, I Fought the Law is a Sonny Curtis song. I think the first to perform it was the Bobby Fuller Four.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think of my titanic piano cover Matthew Hughes 0 996 02-07-2015, 23:15
Last Post: Matthew Hughes
  Uptown Funk drum cover/drum remix jamesswansondrums 3 2,111 20-02-2015, 06:41
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Krokus cover from Kiev Ukraine gaustu 1 1,243 07-02-2015, 04:08
Last Post: SteveO
  an interesting cover jazzboCR 3 1,690 16-04-2014, 16:23
Last Post: SteveO
  a cover album jazzboCR 12 4,240 11-03-2014, 16:24
Last Post: SteveO
  Album Cover Art sahrs 5 3,104 26-02-2014, 08:57
Last Post: SteveO

Forum Jump: