Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My statement regarding pink floyd
#1
[INDENT]I find that Pink Floyd's contribution to music is too monumental and brilliant that I have no one album that really stands out from the other !

Each album is a monumental achievement within itself...avant garde, psychedelic, rock, progressive, folk , I enjoy them all !

One of the greatest ensembles in music history IMHO ! [/INDENT]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#2
Obviously I don't know how they made their albums were put together, but it seems to me that they never just piled into the studio and said 'oh well let's just throw something together because we're a licence to print money' (which at one point they were). Every album (post Meddle I have to admit) seems to have been thought out very carefully beforehand. They invested a ridiculous amount of money in staging, marketing, artwork etc. etc. And they did not always have things their own way either - they lost millions to the bloody accountants as well. The point I am trying to make is this - they THOUGHT about what they were doing. And they experimented endlessly - sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. If you want big payoffs you have to take big gambles.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#3
I think Wish You Were Here was just thrown together...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Reply
#4
Moving on swiftly.................................actually they spent 2 weeks getting the drum sound right (from the interviews in the original WYWH 'song'book). Incidentally, I think they got it wrong, but maybe that's the sound they were aiming for. It sold - in bucketloads - so I guess they got it right after all - but the one thing that has always bugged me about WYWH was he sound of the drums - they sound muffled????
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#5
Not on Obscured by Clouds !!!!...Nick Mason does a lot of fabulous playing!!!!


Jerome Wrote:Moving on swiftly.................................actually they spent 2 weeks getting the drum sound right (from the interviews in the original WYWH 'song'book). Incidentally, I think they got it wrong, but maybe that's the sound they were aiming for. It sold - in bucketloads - so I guess they got it right after all - but the one thing that has always bugged me about WYWH was he sound of the drums - they sound muffled????
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#6
Brilliantly thrown together, Tig !!!...lol


Tiggi Wrote:I think Wish You Were Here was just thrown together...
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#7
Tiggi Wrote:I think Wish You Were Here was just thrown together...
That's the one I like.....
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
Reply
#8
i got the newly remastered "wish you were here" album, never heard the original vinyl nor previously released cd versions, but according to all reviews i have read the drum work has been vastly enhanced on the latest release to sound as it should
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#9
I've ordered a copy of the More soundtrack to complete my CD collection of their main releases.

Can also assess the quality of the remastering before venturing any further...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Reply
#10
TraceNspace Wrote:That's the one I like.....

I was only kidding, Tracy.

WYWH is a lovely album, I just don't think it's as good as some of their other work, and lots of people disagree with me...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Floyd boxset Jerome 0 973 13-11-2016, 05:04
Last Post: Jerome
  Major upgrade on the Official Floyd Site Jerome 38 8,748 14-09-2012, 15:29
Last Post: SteveO
  EMI to release Floyd 'Immersion' sets Jerome 5 2,480 19-06-2011, 13:22
Last Post: Jerome

Forum Jump: