I am looking for the best music production machine and the most important thing for me is good quality and realistic instrument sounds. I'm not interested in live performances or voices, just a large numbers of instruments for production of any genre, and the ability to connect it to a computer.
What's the best synth out there for me?
Thanks.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
06-11-2011, 21:32
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2011, 22:34 by Jerome.)
I prefer the Moog Voyager but if you are looking for a 'production' synth, I would recommend the Yamaha Motif or Korg's latest model (can't remember the name right now - Oasys rings a bell for some reason). Depends what you want to do with it. What type of music do you like? - what are you trying to achieve? What sort of budget do you have? Is it for use in a group or are you working solo? If so, there are a number of soft synths you can buy with excellent quality and all you will require is an advanced controller. I use a Roland A37 for that side of things. In software form it is very hard to beat the Arturia range of instruments but you need a good controller to unlock the human performance element. I use a Bitstream 3X controller for that. Bit complicated but very powerful once you get your head around the workings. Sonniccouture also make some fantastic emulation packages. Spectrasonics is also very good. Kontakt is crap in my opinion. Good for playing other instruments but their own sounds are inferior. For classical sounds Vienna is pretty good as is Synthogy. z3TA is awesome as is Korg's Legacy collection. Some instruments simply cannot be emulated properly (acoustic guitar and saxophone for example)
And for a DAW that can do it all I STRONGLY recommend Samplitude. Head and shoulders above the competition at the moment. It has object-oriented processing abilities and it's file structure allows even very large projects to be loaded in record time whereas the others keep you waiting for ages. It's CD/DVD authoring is also better than other packages I have tried. (Cubase/Sonar/Logic etc.)
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 28
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2011
08-11-2011, 08:15
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 08:19 by didgeridoo.)
Jerome Wrote:I prefer the Moog Voyager but if you are looking for a 'production' synth, I would recommend the Yamaha Motif or Korg's latest model (can't remember the name right now - Oasys rings a bell for some reason).
Korg Kronos perhaps?
Jerome Wrote:Some instruments simply cannot be emulated properly (acoustic guitar and saxophone for example)
[video=youtube;fs1rk6M-n60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1rk6M-n60[/video]
To the subject, for realistic sounds check Roland Jupiter-80.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
Jerome Wrote:I prefer the Moog Voyager but if you are looking for a 'production' synth, I would recommend the Yamaha Motif or Korg's latest model (can't remember the name right now - Oasys rings a bell for some reason). Depends what you want to do with it. What type of music do you like? - what are you trying to achieve? What sort of budget do you have? Is it for use in a group or are you working solo? If so, there are a number of soft synths you can buy with excellent quality and all you will require is an advanced controller. I use a Roland A37 for that side of things. In software form it is very hard to beat the Arturia range of instruments but you need a good controller to unlock the human performance element. I use a Bitstream 3X controller for that. Bit complicated but very powerful once you get your head around the workings. Sonniccouture also make some fantastic emulation packages. Spectrasonics is also very good. Kontakt is crap in my opinion. Good for playing other instruments but their own sounds are inferior. For classical sounds Vienna is pretty good as is Synthogy. z3TA is awesome as is Korg's Legacy collection. Some instruments simply cannot be emulated properly (acoustic guitar and saxophone for example)
And for a DAW that can do it all I STRONGLY recommend Samplitude. Head and shoulders above the competition at the moment. It has object-oriented processing abilities and it's file structure allows even very large projects to be loaded in record time whereas the others keep you waiting for ages. It's CD/DVD authoring is also better than other packages I have tried. (Cubase/Sonar/Logic etc.)
im guessing the language that you are using here Jerome is a cross between Afrikaan and Gaelic cos it sure as hell aint english
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
didgeridoo Wrote:Korg Kronos perhaps?
[video=youtube;fs1rk6M-n60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1rk6M-n60[/video]
To the subject, for realistic sounds check Roland Jupiter-80.
Yes, I think you are right - the Kronos. Thx for the info.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
08-11-2011, 14:05
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 15:55 by Jerome.)
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:im guessing the language that you are using here Jerome is a cross between Afrikaan and Gaelic cos it sure as hell aint english
I haven't spoken Afrikaans for about 13 years. I think I would battle with it these days. What's that saying again - Use it or lose it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
08-11-2011, 14:42
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 14:46 by Jerome.)
didgeridoo Wrote:Korg Kronos perhaps?
[video=youtube;fs1rk6M-n60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1rk6M-n60[/video]
To the subject, for realistic sounds check Roland Jupiter-80.
I am IMPRESSED and I stand corrected! Best sax emulation I have ever heard - and it actually works.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
Jerome Wrote:I am IMPRESSED and I stand corrected! Best sax emulation I have ever heard - and it actually works.
emulation being the keyword
never know what's real anymore
Posts: 21
Threads: 0
Joined: Nov 2011
How about Yamaha VL-1 (physical)
Posts: 28
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2011
26-12-2011, 10:43
(This post was last modified: 26-12-2011, 11:16 by gryphon.)
Jerome Wrote:I am IMPRESSED and I stand corrected! Best sax emulation I have ever heard - and it actually works.
Hey, check out as well then! I discovered it a few days ago, and it is the best sounding physical modelling/percussion synth hands down. I doubt I have ever enjoyed audio demos this much.