Posts: 46
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2011
Hey, thought I'd check this place out. I've been looking for a while now for a good place to have musical discussion and I was lead here. Obviously you can find all my interests on my profile, but you can probably tell from my name and avatar that I'm a HUGE Frank Zappa fan and hopefully I'll find some more here!
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
hi Apostrophe and welcome to MD...
not sure if many members here are big Zappa fans...but feel free to enlighten those of us who are not so familliar with his work
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
Welcome to MD.......................I think you have found the right place!
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
Don't have much Zappa (2 discs), but he has some incredible pieces. And a very, very good guitarist indeed. Prefer his instrumental passages as opposed to the vocal stuff. Anyway welcome to the nuthouse - it's a fun place.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Hi Apostrophe, & welcome to MD.
I'm a minor Zappa fan, if that's any help...
Hope you enjoy the site.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
Unknown
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Welcome aboard MD, Apostrophe ('). I saw Zappa in the 80s and he did a solo for over 20 minutes ...mind blowing !
The members here have varying musical tastes so I think you'll like it here !
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 46
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2011
Thanks for the welcome! It's good to hear that some of you have dabbled in Zappa. I'm still unsure of what genre to classify him as.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
Apostrophe(') Wrote:Thanks for the welcome! It's good to hear that some of you have dabbled in Zappa. I'm still unsure of what genre to classify him as.
Music Head and I both agree that a lot of artists cannot be classified into a particular genre...whereas songs are easier to label with Genres...
the example i always give is Neil Young...he belongs in no genre as he has made albums of soul,r&b, rock, folk, country,grunge,pop,blues/jazz, electronica, almost everything except classical and metal....
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:Music Head and I both agree that a lot of artists cannot be classified into a particular genre...whereas songs are easier to label with Genres...
the example i always give is Neil Young...he belongs in no genre as he has made albums of soul,r&b, rock, folk, country,grunge,pop,blues/jazz, electronica, almost everything except classical and metal....
But he has dabbled with classical - A Man Needs a Maid - Speaking of which have you managed to get Dani to do the lawn yet or doesn't she know about all the tasks she will be required to do while you surf the net? (Just teasing). If I ever get to OZ Dani will be serving me with Steak and Cyanide Sauce.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.