• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
^^
they had some surprisingly good abums
I have the first few

Man this Forum is dusty !!!...lol

OPETH - Ghost Reveries (1995)

[Image: 220px-Ghost_Reveries_%28Opeth%29_album_cover.jpg]

This is the eighth studio album by my supergroup, Opeth. It features their classic track Ghost of Perdition.
Yes there are death growls on this to keep the fans of death metal content.... but that fact is so mediocre in relation to the fabulous music heard here!
This album could have also been comfortably placed in the Prog Rock section but I decided to put it here since the poor old hard rock/metal Forum is used very sparingly!

Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt is once again featured with his impeccable unique voice. The band conjures up servings of hard rock riffs, blues, jazz and folk rock songs with memorable melodies.

All Music rating ....4.5/5
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
guessing im going to have to check out Opeth now!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Just a footnote guys....Opeth are tame lambs compared to Marilyn Manson(who I like also) !!!!...lol

Music Head Wrote:^^
they had some surprisingly good abums
I have the first few
Yes sir reee !...try Heritage their latest. Live at Royal Albert Hall and Ghost Reveries among their other seven or so albums. Also CH, Damantion is an unbelievable album...the sound is so different and not metal at all !!!! In fact start with Damnation ....Windowpane track will blow you away imo !!!!

IN FACT EVERYBODY CHECK OUT OPETH...Damnation album and all the rest !!!! They have 10 studio albums .... they release an album about every two years because they want to please the music listeners with the best album they can offer !!!...and do they ever !!!!!

And yes there are growls and grunts from time to time but nothing that dominates their albums ...they are not total death metal growlers(like Burzum or Arch Enemy (actually a gal is their singer)) all the way through an entire album !!!!...lol

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:guessing im going to have to check out Opeth now!
thanks SteveO...i'll get that one or if not that one another one next time i see Corey Smile
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

the thing about Opeth is that the acoustic passages ruin it for me

the metal sections are great, masterful playing and god like riffs, but when the acoustic sections come in it feels so forced. Maybe they'll grow on me
Hell, I don't even know if this qualifies as 'hard rock' these days but I am listening to Boston's debut album. Some great tracks - some mediocre ones too.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
That's the attraction of Opeth for me...acoustic,organ,piano and clean singing incorporated into heavy rock and "metal". Hopefully they'll grow on you Matt !...not exactly sure what you mean by "forced" acoustic sections ? They play a lot of their acoustic passages in concert.
mtthwibrahim Wrote:the thing about Opeth is that the acoustic passages ruin it for me

the metal sections are great, masterful playing and god like riffs, but when the acoustic sections come in it feels so forced. Maybe they'll grow on me
from my library (vinyl)

[Image: RobertPlantManicNirvana.jpg]

I think this is the last Plant solo album I purchased. Not that I gave up on him. Still think a lot of it is as
good as Zep material. Just moved on I guess. However, this fifth one may be the weakest of the lot that I do have.
That doesn't mean it's bad. Just not as good as the previous ones. I do love the leadoff track of Hurting Kind. It
was the second single released, after Big Love. Two tracks I didn't care for at all. Of the five singles released,
Hurting Kind was the only one to crack Billboards pop chart at #46. The album made #13 here and #15 in the UK.
Plant experienced a downward slide after this one, until he hooked up with Allison for that gem. That one
revitalized some well deserved respect. Strange, allmusic lists 11 tracks on this album. My copy only has 10. I was
cheated out of She Said.

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

Worst Track - Anniversary

Best Track - Hurting Kind

She's the girl of my dreams - she's the girl on my mind
She used to play me for a fool 'cause she's the hurting kind

I lost my heart in the East - another part in the West
You better jump back baby - you're the girl I love the best

I'm gonna ride the wind - there's nothing I won't do
I'm coming up real fast - I got my eyes on you

I see your eyes of love - well tell me what you see
I see your long black hair moving over me

Oh yes, I feel good now, now
Let's talk about love, let's talk about love
Let's talk about love, let's talk about it
Alright, alright, alright, I got my eyes on you

I lost my heart over here - another part over there
I still got plenty left, and baby I don't care

Oh, let's talk about love, let's talk about love

Don't blame me - I won't hurt you - don't blame me
It's plain to see you know the real me

She's the girl of my dreams - she's the girl on my mind
She used to play me for a fool - she's the hurting kind

Gonna go around the world - nothing I won't do
Coming up real fast - I got my eyes on you
Alright, alright, alright, I got my eyes on you --

1) Hurting Kind (I've Got My Eyes On You) ***
live - Hurting Kind - Robert Plant - YouTube
2) Big Love **
3) S S S & Q **
audio - S S S & Q-Robert Plant - YouTube
4) I Cried **
5) Nirvana **
live - Robert Plant - Nirvana - YouTube
6) Tie Dye On The Highway **
live - Robert Plant - Tie Dye on The Highway - YouTube
7) Your Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night *
audio - Robert Plant - Your Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night - YouTube
8) Anniversay *
9) Liars Dance **
live - Robert Plant Liars Dance Knebworth 1990 - YouTube
10) Watching You **

3's - 1
2's - 7
1's - 2

Grade - 1.9

so many albums, so little time

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive been listening to motorhead JimClark 4 2,850 25-11-2008, 18:25