Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of music will be the new sound or style?
gater Wrote:There are no "new sounds". Only interpretations (and re-interpretations) of what has gone before. Just sayin'.

100% correct
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I think we're getting into a resurrection of sorts. With Adele becoming huge and then Lana Del Rey and other similar sounding singers bring back that old time feel. i think maybe we're heading in that direction.
So do you think we've gone full circle so to speak, Hatchet, with regards to music ? Sometimes I believe this !
hatchetman Wrote:I think we're getting into a resurrection of sorts. With Adele becoming huge and then Lana Del Rey and other similar sounding singers bring back that old time feel. i think maybe we're heading in that direction.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I am musician. This is an important platform for me to enhance my understanding about music.
The mainstream is not all there is.

http://phlow.de/netlabels/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.archive.org

These are great places to hear tomorrow's music today. My favourite netlabels are Clinical Archives, Resting Bell, Bumpfoot and Testtube. You can save a lot of money (most are free) and hear a lot of wonderful music this way. And the new sound/style is lurking in them somewhere.
I listen to everything...avant garde, acid jazz, metal, pop, dance, classical, prog rock ..on and on and on...I realise there's a lot more than the mainstream !!!...thank God for that !!!...lol

I was just stating a true fact that the majority of music consumers are into the Mainstream genre of music !!!!
Keef Rob Wrote:The mainstream is not all there is.

http://phlow.de/netlabels/index.php/Main_Page
www.archive.org

These are great places to hear tomorrow's music today. My favourite netlabels are Clinical Archives, Resting Bell, Bumpfoot and Testtube. You can save a lot of money (most are free) and hear a lot of wonderful music this way. And the new sound/style is lurking in them somewhere.
SteveO Wrote:I listen to everything...avant garde, acid jazz, metal, pop, dance, classical, prog rock ..on and on and on...I realise there's a lot more than the mainstream !!!...thank God for that !!!...lol

I was just stating a true fact that the majority of music consumers are into the Mainstream genre of music !!!!

I find that sad. Mainstream now means spectacle to me. The actual music tends to sound rote. Well-crafted for what it is, mind you, but still ... I use it for aural wallpaper but otherwise its appeal to me is minimal.

I don't really comprehend genre. Whenever I go to look at a description of any genre, it seems distilled and limiting. Seems to me the second it's named, it's dead.
I hate using the word "genre" but unfortunately in a lot of cases the musicians themselves have created a zillion genres...not just the record companies (standard answer).
I guess one could say "type of music " but you still can't get away from distinguishing say Madonna from Black Sabbath ..lol
Keef Rob Wrote:I find that sad. Mainstream now means spectacle to me. The actual music tends to sound rote. Well-crafted for what it is, mind you, but still ... I use it for aural wallpaper but otherwise its appeal to me is minimal.

I don't really comprehend genre. Whenever I go to look at a description of any genre, it seems distilled and limiting. Seems to me the second it's named, it's dead.
SteveO Wrote:I hate using the word "genre" but unfortunately in a lot of cases the musicians themselves have created a zillion genres...not just the record companies (standard answer).
I guess one could say "type of music " but you still can't get away from distinguishing say Madonna from Black Sabbath ..lol

Hmmm, I sort of equate Madonna and Black Sabbath. They don't sound the same but they've been making their sounds for a very long time, and in my mind when you mention their names I think of things other than music, e.g. with Black Sabbath I think of stoner parties, and no particular song stands out. With Madonna I think of all the tabloid fodder and the silly supposed controversy, and no particular song stands out. Black Sabbath has stood out when I didn't know they were what was playing, but Madonna never ever has -- that's the chief difference for me. The chief similarity is that I would never actively choose either one, not out of disliking them but more out of "yeh I've heard it."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,336 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,142 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,284 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,482 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  Does the sound of guitar string squeaks bother you or do you like it ? SteveO 12 4,420 10-05-2023, 16:48
Last Post: Joe