Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What Did You Buy?
Certainly my man ! Metal has evolved into a more diverse aspect. Lots of acoustic folky things, intertwined with yes "heavy guitars " and sometimes death screams, grunts and growls. The Norwegian Black Metal genre is HEAVY !!!! It encompasses all the trademarks of heavy metal. Usually no acoustic instrumentation or clean singing.

So called metal bands for genre sake, like OPETH, AGALLOCH, STEVEN WILSON, DREAM THEATRE,.....branch off into progressive experimental rock, folk , jazz, and blues. Opeth's albums Heritage and Damnation are great examples of really just rock albums. There's a fine line between hard rock and heavy metal these days ! Some people say ACDC are Heavy metal as well as Led Zeppelin...and some say they're hard rock. It's that old silly genre game again !

Check out the Opeth albums above, any album of Agalloch and Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning to see what I mean ! Wilson uses orchestral passages and lots of acoustics on his album !

You know me, Crazy ! I am all over the place with music listening !...lol...I listen to these groups when I get the urge but not on a regular basis as I like a variety.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:interesting comment SteveO....how about elaborating a bit further to explain your thoughts on this.....?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
probably my last big cd spree for some time as work is drying up and i need to be a bit more careful with the "$" for a while....

yeh yeh...i bit the bullet and finally got myself a 23 track "best of" set by America
[Image: 51uNIGcaBjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

begrudgingly finally picked up the stupid new Paul Weller one...im a completist, ok!
[Image: 51Ug32BNVuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

reccomended by Corey

[Image: 519fc7pYFHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Kaiser Chiefs new "best of" set
[Image: 518dPyWnR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

i wanted another Kasabian album other than "employment" album which i love, so Corey reccomended this one as his favourite
[Image: 51VVTBiHXKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

and finally...my love affair with all things JETHRO TULL continues...."aqualung", "war child" and the new "thick as a brick2",reccomended by both Corey and Jerome....
[Image: 61x%2B1izE4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg] [Image: 51EQtBXllwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg] [Image: 61X5TfgIDSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
can't believe you sprung for America.
23 tracks is kind of a reach I think

would have gone for the Crows debut myself

not familiar with Kasabian

can't go wrong with any Tull

Reply
Music Head Wrote:can't believe you sprung for America.
23 tracks is kind of a reach I think

would have gone for the Crows debut myself

not familiar with Kasabian

can't go wrong with any Tull

yeh i know...but America was cheap and Jerome reminded me of the brilliant "tinman" track the other week...

Kasabian.."britpop", crossed between the pop melodies of Blur and the guitar-esque work of Oasis....i like 'em

maybe go for The Crows debut next time....

Jethro...im beginning to think like you...."cant go wrong with any album...."

could'a done without Weller, but im a completist...like you with Cohen/Dylan etc.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
I begrudgingly have Cohen's latest on my list

Reply
I am listening to Ian's Thick as a Brick ..part 2....absolutely Brilliant as Jerome recommended !!!!!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:probably my last big cd spree for some time as work is drying up and i need to be a bit more careful with the "$" for a while....

yeh yeh...i bit the bullet and finally got myself a 23 track "best of" set by America
[Image: 51uNIGcaBjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

begrudgingly finally picked up the stupid new Paul Weller one...im a completist, ok!
[Image: 51Ug32BNVuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

reccomended by Corey

[Image: 519fc7pYFHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Kaiser Chiefs new "best of" set
[Image: 518dPyWnR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

i wanted another Kasabian album other than "employment" album which i love, so Corey reccomended this one as his favourite
[Image: 51VVTBiHXKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

and finally...my love affair with all things JETHRO TULL continues...."aqualung", "war child" and the new "thick as a brick2",reccomended by both Corey and Jerome....
[Image: 61x%2B1izE4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg] [Image: 51EQtBXllwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg] [Image: 61X5TfgIDSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
I have relistened to Cohen's Old Ideas and it's starting to grow on me ...lol
Music Head Wrote:I begrudgingly have Cohen's latest on my list
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
SteveO Wrote:I have relistened to Cohen's Old Ideas and it's starting to grow on me ...lol

that's what I'm counting on

Reply
It's been a very good selection this last while:
Storm Corrosion -Storm Corrosion
Killing Joke - MMXII
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Jethro Tull - TAAB2
Veil of Maya - Eclipse
U2 - Achtung Baby remastered
Reply
Bought Gotye's Making Mirrors
Reply


Forum Jump: