Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question
Hmmmm I don't have any artists that appeal to me. I see it as their line of work to make the stuff. I don't really go out and get artists' discographies, not really. I used to when I was a record collector, but I stopped that when I went digital about 13 or 14 years ago. Most of the artists that I did collect are now dead, and that music for me is not living and breathing anymore because I can't go see them -- all I have is the souvenir, and I'm Mr. Minimal Living. I'm far more interested in someone I can go see than nostalgia, although my library goes back about 70 years. I don't think in terms of albums or singles or EPs. They're all just plain releases.

It makes no sense to me why:

The Orb's "Blue Room" is a single. The version I have is 70 minutes long. The song itself is 40 minutes long. There's a radio version, an alternate version, and another song on the version I have.

YET:

Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" is about 50 minutes long, it is one title, and it's an album.
Yes's "Close To The Edge" is about 36 minutes or so, it's got three songs, and it's an album.
Anoesis's "Blood And Sweat In London" has 8 songs, it's 2 12" records, runs about an hour, and it's an EP.
Most American Beatles albums were between 25 and 30 minutes long, yet they're albums.
Sun Ra has countless albums that have 3 songs that are shorter than most "EP"s.
Push's "Universal Nation" has about 20 songs on it, it's about 2.5 hours long, and it's a single. It's "different mixes" but most of them are like brand new songs.
Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" has four songs on it and it's an album.
Freakazoid "Da E.P." (despite the title) has four songs and it's longer than the Pink Floyd album.

I once had a copy of MC5 "Ice Pick Slim", with "I'm Mad Like Eldridge Cleaver" on the flip. It was a single. It ran longer than the Yes album.

Most of my favourite dance releases that were on records were four songs, and ran 25-40 minutes in play time. If they go over that, then they'd make it 2 of whatever -- 2 10" records, 2 12" records. Because dance tunes are about 6-9 minutes apiece they wanted the vinyl as hot as possible, so these were all "EPs" .... It just became silly to keep trying to make the distinction, and the more I thought about it the more I realised I was missing great things simply by making the distinction. They were just marketing terms.

Now back to the original question (the one that started the thread) .... I don't think it matters. Only record collectors seem to care about format -- the general public doesn't seem to care. Most people that I know just get a song or two, and that's it. You can go to any album, really, and pick and choose. I notice that Amazon frequently takes longer tunes and makes them "album only" so that you buy the whole thing if you want to get it, and they point out that you can buy the album cheaper than if you get all the tracks. Of course now with "albums" there's 5 or 6 different versions frequently depending on whether you get it from Amazon, the iTunes store, or some other format. A long time ago I decided that I was not going to be manipulated by marketers and I just decided I didn't have any favourite artists, and so I started listening without regard to who was making the music. You can't imagine how rewarding it is. I'd say my listening is about 40% dance stuff, about 25-30% "head music" (avant-garde, noise, what-have-you), and the rest is whatever. I have releases that are lots of songs (biggest one I have is a box that has some 168 songs on it), but I never pick an artist and listen to all on that one release.

Mp3s don't bug me at all. They're all listenable to me. I have a computer dedicated to being "the stereo", have it wired into a stereo, and it sounds alright to me. I have an mp3 player and listen to stuff in it when I'm on the move.

I'm a miser (you won't believe how miserly I am -- it took me 3 months to buy a pair of shoes because the prices were hateful), and I go for free stuff, so I listen mostly to radio shows. If I want to hear different mixes I normally hit up youtube or soundcloud. I'm really big on creative commons so I'd say about 40% of my collection came from http://www.archive.org. My tastes run so anti-mainstream as well, so most of my mp3s are sourced from old vinyl or cassettes (I was big into industrial cassette culture when it was happening, with hundreds if not thousands of cassettes. Long about 1990 or so I started getting DJ cassettes from the DJ's themselves -- promo things, and that's what I'd listen to. By then I just stopped caring if it were an album, and the last time I hung out in a record shop was about 1992 or so.
evilB Wrote:I like to read the whole book, not just the chapters that are the most interesting.

Spot on.................
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
fantastic posts here Keef Rob...i applaud you for the thoughts and time it must have taken to post these....full marks man!!!!

hey, good to have you back on board Evil....wondered where the hell you got to!!!

and Jerome....bloody cassettes were a travesty IMO,always getting caught in damn cassette players and manually reeling them back into the cartridge....like you, NO THANKS!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Very interesting posts Keef and Evil !!!!!..thanks ! ...as for cassettes ...nothing like listening to ten minutes of dead air after side one was over to match up with the length of side two...lol...what a pain and nuisance
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
SteveO Wrote:Very interesting posts Keef and Evil !!!!!..thanks ! ...as for cassettes ...nothing like listening to ten minutes of dead air after side one was over to match up with the length of side two...lol...what a pain and nuisance

lol
I remember some where the song would end on side 1 and continue on side 2

yeah and the sound quality was awful
Music Head Wrote:Surprised there would be a market for that.
Given the other formats available.
Always hated them
Were only good for cars in my day
before most cars came equipped with cd players
why go back?
you start by picking a web site then you post a photo and physical information about yourself along with other perosnal information...then if your lucky someone replies and you go out and maybe get lucky again..........its all very simple....hope that answered your question
yeah i agree
Keef Rob Wrote:Why must it be related to an album? Why do rock record collectors behave as though it's substandard if it's not on an album unless it's on the almighty unsanctioned bootleg? Why does this matter?

To me it's like being into reading but only liking paperbacks not newspapers, hardcovers, pamphlets, and so on. Or liking movies and only liking those that have been CGI'd to the hilt or have a 5.1 soundtrack. Or have been released on blu-ray.

Many times I run into this and I think, okay, are you into the music -- really listening to the music -- or are you into collecting things and are more in love with the chase involved in acquiring them? I figure a true music lover would be interested in listening, and the way it's presented just doesn't matter. For me that's certainly true. Is it a single? Is it an album? Is it an EP? Who CARES? Is the music itself any good?
I do think that the singles, now, are just a promotional tool. Also, artists sometimes leak their own albums for the same reason. But I think, as far as radio goes, that a radio cannot just play whatever it wants. It needs to purchase the single, or pay a royalty or something. They don't have our advantage of just taking whatever we want... ha. But I could be wrong about all of this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question about Free Music Archive techey61 0 590 25-06-2015, 13:19
Last Post: techey61
  Question Music Head 9 1,595 03-10-2014, 22:22
Last Post: Bellini48
  Maybe you can answer to my question? filmas3 0 562 27-09-2014, 21:36
Last Post: filmas3
  Music Software Question desertjim 0 544 11-06-2014, 23:53
Last Post: desertjim
  question for Jerome! CRAZY-HORSE 15 2,649 21-04-2014, 22:02
Last Post: SteveO
  Question about writing songs for Baritone singing range musicfan97 0 640 15-12-2013, 10:59
Last Post: musicfan97
  Please take this (fun) one-question poll on musical listening preferences jekluc 0 729 09-08-2013, 16:16
Last Post: jekluc
  Question regarding VEVO and who should register it? Chatterbox 0 496 06-07-2013, 19:58
Last Post: Chatterbox
  Question Music Head 10 1,400 31-03-2013, 17:57
  QUESTION FOR AMERICANS: What are your thoughts on the new British Invasion of UK musi andy_88 3 975 10-03-2013, 04:36