Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Your opinion: does music need words?
#41
If you are a songwriter and if you think that you are good at making songs with lyrics, then go to that direction. For me I prefer the music more coz I love to analyze song arrangements most of the time Smile
Reply
#42
I usually look at words. The music has to catch me, but the words keep me listening. Because even when the music is faint, or not that amazing I will still listen if the words sparkle. But with that said, I like a lot of instrumental music. If there is a mix of fabulous instruments, then I can do without the words. There is a place for it all. A balance is nice.
Peace and Love,
Penny Lane
Breakfast with Myself


Art is the only thing you cannot punch a button for. You must do it the old-fashioned way. Stay up and really burn the midnight oil. There are no compromises. - Leonytne Price
Reply
#43
Can't imagine Dylan or the Beatles without lyrics !!!...lol...however I do enjoy instrumental music also!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#44
PennyLane Wrote:I usually look at words. The music has to catch me, but the words keep me listening. Because even when the music is faint, or not that amazing I will still listen if the words sparkle. But with that said, I like a lot of instrumental music. If there is a mix of fabulous instruments, then I can do without the words. There is a place for it all. A balance is nice.

I like the way you put that Smile
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
Reply
#45
I think music is equaly as valid with or without lyrics
America is pregnant with promise and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable....(Lee Jackson ..The Nice)
Reply
#46
Lyrics have always played a major role in the music that has really taken me. At the same time, though, no music has moved my soul more than music without words. Ultimately I would have to say that it's a balance between the two. There's nothing better than a few lines of perfectly chosen words followed by spot on musical composition!
Reply
#47
I think it depends on the purpose of the music. For instance some music in my opinion is best used for background music. Some music is a work of art in it's self. There is lots of music that is recognized by millions around the world that doesnt have any lyrics to it.
Reply
#48
Composer (musical composition) verses being a Lyricist (songwriter).
Reply
#49
Ella Wrote:There are a lot of phrases saying that music is something like talk soul-to-soul... And the question is what role play lyrics in song... What is the most important: music or words?

I don't feel that music needs words to evoke an emotion from the audience, but I believe you'll reach a larger audience if you speak to them.
Reply
#50
Well it depands....Some divine musical compositons do not need words but we also can't neglet the role of words....

See this composition of mine...I think it has both (music and words) of 50-50% weightage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGrZjmzz7-o‎
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleeding Hearts new music! Bleeding Hearts 1 2,916 29-12-2016, 08:13
Last Post: Jerome
  My words LittleDun 0 2,854 25-09-2016, 02:36
Last Post: LittleDun
  Just joined and looking for a mentor on songwriting and music producing. Sloaner 0 2,867 18-07-2016, 05:07
Last Post: Sloaner
  Neglecting my music polythenepam 4 3,196 23-09-2015, 11:40
Last Post: JJ24
  My song, I'd like to hear your opinion :) Roval 4 3,029 07-08-2015, 16:48
Last Post: Cali5
  Tired of short term Music Gig? iyrie936 3 2,437 28-05-2014, 17:21
Last Post: Music Head
  What's the best way to really get back into music. lewisrg99 12 8,671 09-10-2013, 23:54
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  My Music FrancisDale 4 3,770 28-05-2013, 23:35
Last Post: mdsujaan
  the origin of traffic music miltk 0 1,768 16-02-2013, 10:17
Last Post: miltk
  One man music production, need feedback! noiseflor 1 1,912 19-11-2012, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome

Forum Jump: