Posts: 106
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2012
08-12-2012, 06:05
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 06:05 by Nick Dilley.)
What I mean is, who is your favorite jazz artist that was a bit off his/her rocker?
For me, it's gotta be Thelonious Monk and Mingus. Both BRILLIANT, both a little off...
Thoughts?
Posts: 40
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2012
Both of those two are fantastic. If we're just looking at bebop, I would also add Coltrane and Coleman. Both were a bit loony, but they were still geniuses. In the whole field of jazz, I'd have to say that my favourite crazy jazz musician would be Sun Ra. I mean, really? You came from Saturn? Your music's out of this world but I find that hard to believe.
Posts: 106
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2012
Frownland Wrote:Both of those two are fantastic. If we're just looking at bebop, I would also add Coltrane and Coleman. Both were a bit loony, but they were still geniuses. In the whole field of jazz, I'd have to say that my favourite crazy jazz musician would be Sun Ra. I mean, really? You came from Saturn? Your music's out of this world but I find that hard to believe.
I wasn't aware that Coltrane was considered loony, too. LOL forgot about Sun Ra. It's been a while, but I'm gonna go re-acquaint myself right now!
Posts: 40
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2012
Nick Dilley Wrote:I wasn't aware that Coltrane was considered loony, too.
Well, I don't know if he was technically loony, but he did become a bit antisocial when he got into free jazz and people assumed that he was going off of the deep end.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
I didn't realise Mingus, one of the greatest 20th century composers IMHO, was considered off his rocker. I guess you can state that for a lot of jazz players and musicians and people in general !...lol Interesting thread though. I saw a video on avant garde/free jazz once and they interviewed the fabulous improvisational pianist Cecil Taylor and he appeared to me as a tad peculiar.
Nick Dilley Wrote:What I mean is, who is your favorite jazz artist that was a bit off his/her rocker?
For me, it's gotta be Thelonious Monk and Mingus. Both BRILLIANT, both a little off...
Thoughts?
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
anyone who says what they think to anyone is considered a little odd
Posts: 106
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2012
Music Head Wrote:anyone who says what they think to anyone is considered a little odd
And, of course, the honesty of composition is saying what one thinks to everyone!
That's just the composer in me talking, though.