Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point does nudity in a music video cross the line from art to offensive?
This is a discussion I found myself in with a few friends of mine the other night. I thought I would bring it up here to see what an art community would have to say on the subject.

It all started when I showed them Daniel Bedingfield's latest music video, "Secret Fear" (http://youtu.be/nE9ySQRZpGI). At first, the nudity came off as excessive. But after really watching the video and listening to the lyrics, I began to grasp the essence of the message more clearly. Both love and fear can make you feel naked and vulnerable. As if tumbling in confinement through dark water..

In my opinion, this video is more about expressing that emotion than trying to shock it's audience and be offensive.

What are your thoughts?
Nudity in itself is not offensive to me.
It's the sexual nature of the use of the nudity.
Two entirely different things.

i have no time for it in music video's....
it detracts from the music IMO....especially when it is done in a sexual way.
for the most part i think it gives women the image of "pieces of meat".
Rap is the worst genre for this exploitation...making out that all women/females are hoe's,whores and sl#ts...
then you get a whole generation of impressionable females thinking theyve got to act like that to be 'socially acceptable' to guys...and then in return, guys expect females to be like that of they are not females...

i also usually find that video's filmed like that usually have crappy songs attached to them, but they sell purely on the basis of the video.

i also switch off when those video's containing semi-clad women gyrating provocatively on the screen as they are not neccessary IMO...

the music should come first and the video IMO should be a tool for the artists to be able to get their music out there because they cant go everywhere to promote it, thus the video should only be a promotional tool...
i guess we can blame michael Jackson for bringing video's to the forefront of music with the superb ones he did in the 1980s..but these new guys have taken it all one step too far!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I don't watch music videos too much anymore, but I don't think that nudity is offensive in them. Even if they are displayed in an overtly sexual manner that degrades women, it still makes a statement on the culture of the artist's world, whether he/she intended it to be or not. An extremely sexual video can also be art as well, take the film Salo or 120 Days of Sodom for example. It's possibly one of the most disgusting things that I've ever seen, but it's hard to deny Pasolini's statements on the borgeoisie and how he inventively exerts control over the setting, costumes, and cinematography to make his point by turning what was originally a fetishist novel into an extraordinary film.

So...yeah. Nudity and sexuality can still be considered art.
'At what point does nudity in a music video cross the line from art to offensive?'

When the nudiy becomes the point and the music is forgotten.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I think nudity in 80% of music videos is for attract people to play the video, sometimes the purpose is reprsesnting the matter of the song, but most of songs that include nude scenes arn’t for something valuable.
You've summed it up in a nutshell J ! I agree with your comment !
Jerome Wrote:'At what point does nudity in a music video cross the line from art to offensive?'

The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Jerome Wrote:'At what point does nudity in a music video cross the line from art to offensive?'

+1
totally agree.
Nudity is not neccessarily bad but the problem is that nudity is generally used for very sexual and can be very preverted terms. I mean many of today's music is very bad in my view and as result, nudity is one way that can get their music any chance.

I think Crazy House, summed up the best. We should actually judge a musician based on their talent. But now days, you don't need to actually sing but be marketable. I mean these days, many people want to copy T-Pain. Thanks to T-Pain, autotune gets used a bit too much.

Nudity should be very discouraged because often it is used for sexual and preverted purposes and that is so wrong.
Naloba soko ya muyembi mibale Franco na Pepe Kalle. Nayeba muyembi mibale pamba te nzembo na bango.
Grand Maitre Franco Giantafrique Pepe Kalle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,341 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,143 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,286 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,483 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  What is a music enthusiast to do ? SteveO 15 3,716 21-02-2023, 14:26
Last Post: JeromeD