Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 years ago today....
.....that Australian country music legend SLIM DUSTY passed away...

during his lengthy career he recorded 106 studio albums for Columbia Records....

during his life he sold inexcess of 10 million album albums in Australia, that might not seem like much but when you consider that for much of that time our population was under 20 million, that would make one in under two people here owned a slim album...the equivelant of approx 200million sales in the US alone....astonishing stuff!

he was also the first musician to have his music played in space...his version of 'waltzing matilda' was broadcast back to earth by John Glenn on one of his flight passes over Australia back in the day...

he was the first aussie musician to be invited to play at the holy Grail of country music in the USA(grand old opry)

if you want to know more google/wikki-search him....

[video=youtube;8E0aZ387M_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0aZ387M_I[/video]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Was introduced to Mr Dusty courtesy of CH on his visit around 2 years ago.
Became a fan on first listen
Still can't believe his popularity never made it to these shores
thanks CRAZY man

Now that's my kind of COUNTRY ! ..loved it! Down to earth and rough around the edges! Did his pal Ned Parsons ? have a great recording career also? I liked his voice as much as Slim's! Contemporary country music artist Gary Allan stated recently on Face Book that he cannot distinguish what is country music today! He said to him country music has strayed away from traditional country music and is now a "blend" of other genres! I agree completely!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:.....that Australian country music legend SLIM DUSTY passed away...

during his lengthy career he recorded 106 studio albums for Columbia Records....

during his life he sold inexcess of 10 million album albums in Australia, that might not seem like much but when you consider that for much of that time our population was under 20 million, that would make one in under two people here owned a slim album...the equivelant of approx 200million sales in the US alone....astonishing stuff!

he was also the first musician to have his music played in space...his version of 'waltzing matilda' was broadcast back to earth by John Glenn on one of his flight passes over Australia back in the day...

he was the first aussie musician to be invited to play at the holy Grail of country music in the USA(grand old opry)

if you want to know more google/wikki-search him....

[video=youtube;8E0aZ387M_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0aZ387M_I[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
ive never heard anything by Ned mate????

seriously though, you need to get some Slim in your record collection, th one i have posted below is probably the best compilation out there in the marketplace IMO

[Image: 51G6Sb3iq8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

another link for you SteveO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoaZQKqMt9M
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

this was my fav I think
makes me feel like I'm an Aussie

[video=youtube;bJ2dtI86dzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2dtI86dzE[/video]

yeh, thats probably my favourite also MH...

and,
you are regarded as an 'honary aussie' in these parts mate!

Strange that the "old music" is the best music ...I guess that's why it's called CLASSIC !

Definition of CLASSIC from the Merriam - Webster dictionary - Classic -
serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value

Here are a few classic artists that would be difficult to surpass today!...there are several more...

ROCK n ROLL - The Beatles

COUNTRY - Johnny Cash

JAZZ - Duke Ellington

BLUES - Buddy Guy

R n B SOUL- James Brown

FOLK - Bob Dylan (more associated with rock in his later years but it is still Americana Folk Music)

HEAVY METAL - Black Sabbath

NOTE - I also listen to all kinds of contemporary music!

The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you like today's Music? Blanche_Minim 29 5,104 24-09-2021, 21:47
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  it was fifty years ago today... CRAZY-HORSE 3 930 11-08-2019, 14:24
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Do you think that there is too much music today ? SteveO 30 6,128 12-10-2018, 09:12
  it was 30 years ago today.... CRAZY-HORSE 3 936 30-06-2017, 18:43
Last Post: Music Head
  it was forty years ago today.... CRAZY-HORSE 0 804 21-05-2017, 05:59
  Pink Floyd "the early years" CRAZY-HORSE 0 949 15-02-2017, 00:58
  Neil Young "no where, no way" to play protest songs today CRAZY-HORSE 0 981 21-06-2016, 14:12
  Sky Arts TV Series - The Music Years - Needs You! ZnakJonesTV 0 657 13-01-2016, 13:03
Last Post: ZnakJonesTV
  Elvis Presley birth anniversary today.... CRAZY-HORSE 8 2,586 09-01-2015, 16:22
Last Post: jazzboCR
  15 years old boy! Rap + Official video ( Lithuania ) BagaciusOfficial 0 640 10-06-2014, 21:33
Last Post: BagaciusOfficial