Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 5 Average
greatest australian singers...
She's really good, Crazy!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:
number 23: SARAH BLASKO

[Image: 354392-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Sarah Elizabeth Blaskow[SUP][1][/SUP] (born 23 September 1976) is an Australian singer-songwriter and musician.[SUP][2][/SUP] Blasko developed her solo career after fronting Sydney-based band, Acquiesce, between the mid-1990s and 2002.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
In 2007, Blasko won the "Best Pop Release" award for What the Sea Wants, the Sea Will Have at the ARIA Music Awards.[SUP][3][/SUP] Her album, As Day Follows Night, won the "Best Female Artist" award at the 2009 ARIA Awards.
Acquiesce[edit source | edit]

In 1998, as Sarah Semmens, she fronted Sydney band Acquiesce on lead vocals, with founding members Paul Camilleri on guitar, Steve Foxe on violin, Dave Hemmings on drums, Ted Langtree on bass guitar and her sister Kate Halcrow on harmony vocals.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] Tracks were co-written by Blasko and Camilleri,[SUP][11][/SUP] Acquiesce recorded an EP, Aa for Acquiesce, released in September 1999.[SUP][10][/SUP] Dave Cullen (of Brotherhood Lush) replaced Langtree on bass guitar and they released a single, "Breathe In", in November 2000.[SUP][10][/SUP] Both EP and single were produced by Hugh Wilson (Brotherhood Lush).[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] Acquiesce received some local attention in 1999 by winning a national campus band competition.[SUP][13][/SUP] Acquiesce disbanded by January 2001 and Blasko teamed-up with acoustic guitarist, Nick Schneider in the short-lived project Sorija,[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP] an acoustic pop/electronic duo, they played gigs in Sydney until April 2002.[SUP][14][/SUP] Early in her career, Blasko says she had an unsuccessful marriage.She went on to have four solo albums and one as part of a trio with Seeker,Lover,Keeper...
She continues to tour the US,Canada,Europe to this day recieving good reviews for her shows...

[video=youtube;VQvjvEWDIoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQvjvEWDIoQ[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Cody Simpson
Nick Cave
Darren Hayes
Anthony Callea
Russell Hitchcock

Shannon Noll
Billy Thorpe
number 22: DARRYL BRAITHWAITE

[Image: 354389-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Daryl Braithwaite (born 11 January 1949) is an Australian pop singer. Best known as the lead vocalist of Sherbet, Braithwaite has also sustained a successful solo career, placing 15 singles in the Australian top 40, including the No. 1 hits "You're My World" and "The Horses".
Daryl, along with his twin brother Glenn, was born and raised in a working class family in Melbourne, Victoria. His father was an English plumber. As a child, he attended Punt Road Primary School in South Yarra, Melbourne and then Christ Church Grammar, also in Punt Road, where he sang in the school choir, and for a time was in the same class as Olivia Newton-John.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] In 1963 his family moved to the Sydney beachside suburb of Coogee, New South Wales where he attended Randwick Boys High until the end of year 10. He then began a fitter and turner apprenticeship, set up by his father, which he completed in 1969, but decided that this was not the career path for him and left home to pursue a musical career instead.[SUP][3][/SUP]
By the time he was in his teens Braithwaite was singing in various Sydney rock groups, his first being Bright Lights, in 1967, then House of Bricks and Samael Lilith. In 1970, at the age of 21, he joined Sherbet, a band that had already released one single. Initially hired as Sherbets' second lead vocalist, within a few months Braithwaite became the band's only frontman when original lead singer Dennis Laughlin left.
Sherbet's second single ("Can You Feel It Baby") featured Braithwaite's gritty-but-polished lead vocals, and became an Australian Top 40 hit in 1971. The combination of Braithwaite's soul-influenced vocal style and Sherbet's pop songcraft was then heard on a series of singles and albums throughout the 1970s, and The Sherbs ended up placing an additional 19 hits on the Australian charts from 1971 to 1979. In the process, Braithwaite rose to national fame as the band's lead singer.
Braithwaite also forged a similarly successful solo career alongside his work in Sherbet. Working in largely the same pop/rock vein as that band, from 1974 through 1993 Braithwaite placed 15 solo hits in the Australian top 40.

Already a budding star due to his work in Sherbet, in 1973 Braithwaite played the lead role in the Australian production of the rock opera Tommy. The following year, amidst unfounded rumours that he would soon be leaving Sherbet, Braithwaite began his official solo career with a cover of the ballad "You're My World", which went to No. 1 in Australia.
More hits followed throughout the 1970s, including a cover of The Small Faces' "Afterglow (Of Your Love)". An infrequent songwriter, Braithwaite's solo career has been dominated by cover songs.
Curiously for the 'album rock' era, Braithwaite's solo recordings from 1974-78 appeared only on 7-inch singles. A 'best of' solo LP was compiled in 1978, but Braithwaite's first original full-length album as a solo artist (Out on the Fringe) didn't appear until 1979, during a time when Sherbet had briefly broken up.
He was crowned Australia's King of Pop by TV Week over three consecutive years from 1975 to 1977.
Braithwaite went on to have a number of solo hits in the early 1990s, including the Australian No. 1 "The Horses", a cover of a Rickie Lee Jones recording written by Jones and Walter Becker. He also made his first US chart appearance as a solo artist at No. 47 with the 1991 single "Higher than Hope", a song he co-wrote with Simon Hussey. By the end of 1991, Braithwaite's Rise album had become Australia's biggest selling CD of the year, and Edge had become the best-selling album ever released by Sony Music Australia to that time.

[video=youtube;EfFQ7d3GqEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFQ7d3GqEE[/video]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

my thoughts on Darryl:

i think he has a pretty good voice, most of Sherbet's material is similar in vein to Little River Band ie: tight playing, great harmonies and melodies...

the above link is probably my favourite track of his either solo or with a band..
below is my favourite solo single of his...

[video=youtube;WXIrCJll9dY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIrCJll9dY[/video]
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

number 21: SUZE DE MARCHI

[Image: 354396-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

The Baby Animals were formed in Sydney in 1989 by singer Suze DeMarchi, drummer Frank Celenza, guitarist Dave Leslie, and bassist Eddie Parise. De Marchi had previously recorded threes singles with EMI in the United Kingdom, and before that had played with Perth bands Photoplay, The Kind, and DD and the Rockmen.[SUP][1][/SUP]
November 1989 saw the band’s first gig at the Kardomah Café in Sydney, under the name 'Woody's Heroes', and the start of constant touring through the city’s pubs and clubs. The name 'Baby Animals' came about after seeing an advertisement for a local TV show, Wheel of Fortune, hosted by 'Baby John Burgess'. Another version suggests the name came from a calendar in a mall. In at least one interview, however, DeMarchi mentioned they changed the origins of the name in different interviews as it got boring answering the same questions.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
The Baby Animals' early success was driven by The Angels including one of the band’s demos "Break My Heart" on the B-side of their single "Dogs Are Talking", along with tracks from two other rock and roll bands - Rob Tognoni's Desert Cats & The Hurricanes. A national tour showcasing all four bands shortly followed.
In August 1990, the band signed a publishing deal with SBK Songs (now EMI Songs). Whilst attending one of their gigs, Terry Ellis, president of the newly formed Imago Recording Company signed them to his label.[SUP][1][/SUP] He described the experience as
[INDENT]"the band was great, the songs were terrific and to me Suze clearly had that indefineable magic that separates one artist from the crowd and makes them a star."[SUP]
The band flew to New York to record the debut album (Bearsville Studio / Second City Studio, Long Island), produced by Mike Chapman.[SUP][SIZE=2][2]
[/SUP] DeMarchi said of the production process: "It was great. Basically, Mike left us alone to make the kind of music we know how to make; and whenever he did have a suggestion, it was always something that made the sound better. So what you hear is pure recording, the band as it really is."[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Their debut single, "Early Warning", was released in April 1991 and immediately reached the Top 20 on the Australian Singles charts. After the release of the single, the band flew to the United States for a series of showcases for the Imago/BMG people, to coincide with the earlier release of the album there. With the Top 20 chart success of "Early Warning" at home, the second single "Rush You" was released in August 1991.
Their eponymous debut album Baby Animals was released in September 1991. The album debuted at number six on the ARIA Charts and spent six weeks at number one, eventually going eight times platinum and becoming the highest-selling debut Australian rock album until the release of Jet's album twelve years later.[SUP][2][/SUP]
After listening to the band's album, Bryan Adams asked the band to join him on his European tour. Whilst overseas, the band picked up the 'Best New Act' at the inaugural 1991 Australian Music Awards. Christmas 1991 saw the band back in Australia for more touring, and the release of two more singles from the album "Painless" and "One Word", with the latter charting in the top 20 of the ARIA Charts. The 'Let Go Of My Ears' tour saw the band playing to sell out crowds all over the country.
In 1992 the band joined the Black Crowes on a national tour of Australia and New Zealand. They made an appearance on the Late Night with David Letterman show, performing the single "Painless".
The band picked up a number of honours at the 1992 ARIA Music Awards, receiving awards for 'Best Debut Album', 'Best Single', and 'Best Album'. DeMarchi was also nominated for 'Best Female Vocalist'.
The band then toured in the opening slot for Van Halen's "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour" across America from 28 January to 31 May, again playing to arena-size audiences. Eddie Van Halen requested their presence after his wife Valerie heard their album, and suggested them.
Australian Rolling Stone placed DeMarchi on the cover. It was the first time they had put an Australian artist or group on the cover on the merits of a debut album. The Editor's letter was used to explain why DeMarchi is on the cover, despite the fact that the band insisted on a photo of the whole band or no cover at all.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Sales of Baby Animals reached 8 times platinum in Australia, and topped 800,000 worldwide. The band having played over 500 shows when they stopped touring in August.

Touring was cut short when DeMarchi experienced throat problems, which required her to undertake surgery for her vocal cords. In August 1994 Baby Animals shared the stage with Extreme in a concert on the Azores island of Sao Miguel. DeMarchi and Bettencourt's wedding ceremony was also performed there. Songwriting/recording for the third record was anticipated for November.
In 1995 on the verge of their first major US tour, their US-based record company Imago Records folded after losing its distributor, BMG. In early 1996 the band officially disbanded.
In October 1999, DeMarchi released her first single, "Satellite" as a solo artist, which was followed by her debut album, Telelove. In June 2004, she was one of the inaugural inductees into the WAM (West Australian Music Industry Awards) Hall of Fame

[h=3]Albums[edit][/h]
  • Baby Animals (1991) - Australia No. 1, Australia (End Of Year Charts 1992) No. 2; UK No. 70[SUP][6][/SUP]
  • Shaved and Dangerous (1993)
  • Il Grande Silenzio (2008)
  • This Is Not The End (2013) - Australia No. 19 (on debut)[SUP][7][/SUP]
[h=3]Singles[edit][/h]
  • "Early Warning" (1991) - No. 21 Australia
  • "Rush You" (1991) - No. 30 Australia
  • "Painless" (1991) - No. 49 Australia, #23 US-Rock
  • "One Word" (1992) - No. 15 Australia
  • "Impossible To Fly" (1992) - No. 48 Australia
  • "Ain't Gonna Get" (1992)
  • "Don't Tell Me What To Do" (1993) - No. 24 Australia
  • "At The End Of The Day" / "Backbone" (1993) - No. 60 Australia
  • "Lights Out At Eleven" (1994) - No. 54 Australia
  • "Email" (2013) - First new single release in nearly 20 years.

[video=youtube;rEKR24bg7Y4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEKR24bg7Y4[/video][/SIZE][/SUP][/INDENT]

my thoughts on Baby Animals:

i dont own anything, never liked them actually, but Suze' voice is pretty good for a female rocker...
the link above would be my favourite track of theirs

I can't knock Suze! I love female singers and this song!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
number 20: GURRUMUL

[Image: 344696-top-50-voices.jpg]

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu (born 1970) is an Indigenous Australian musician, who sings in the Yolngu language.
He was born in Galiwin'ku (Elcho Island), off the coast of Arnhem Land, Northern Australia about 580 kilometres from Darwin. He is from the Gumatj clan of the Yolngu and his mother is from the Galpu nation.[SUP][1][/SUP] He was born blind, has never learned Braille and does not have a guide dog or use a white cane. Yunupingu speaks only a few words of English, and is said to be acutely shy.[SUP][2][/SUP]
He plays drums, keyboards, guitar (a right hand-strung guitar left-handed) and didgeridoo, but it is the clarity of his singing voice that has attracted rave reviews. He sings stories of his land in both languages (Gälpu, Gumatj or Djambarrpuynu, all Yolŋu Matha) and English.[SUP][3][/SUP] Formerly with Yothu Yindi, he is now with Saltwater Band.

In 2008 Yunupingu was nominated for four ARIA awards,[SUP][4][/SUP] winning the awards for Best World Music Album[SUP][5][/SUP] and Best Independent Release.[SUP][6][/SUP] He also won three Deadlys, winning for Artist of the Year, Album of the Year for Gurrumul and Single of the Year for "Gurrumul History (I Was Born Blind)".[SUP][7][/SUP]
His first solo album, Gurrumul, debuted at #21 on the ARIA Charts and #1 on the independent chart.[SUP][8][/SUP] Gurrumul peaked at #3 on the ARIA Charts.[SUP][9][/SUP] Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu's friend Michael Hohnen produced the album and acts as his translator. Critics have heaped praise on the singer, describing his voice as having "transcendental beauty". Elton John, Sting and Björk are among his fans. When asked what he would do with any money he makes, he suggested it will go to his mother and aunts, following the Aboriginal tradition of sharing wealth.[SUP][2][/SUP]
In November 2009, he was named 'Best New Independent Artist', and his album, Gurrumul, 'Best Independent Release' and 'Best Independent Blues/Roots Release' at the Jägermeister Australian Independent Record (AIR) Awards held at Melbourne's Corner Hotel.[SUP][10][/SUP] In January 2009, his song, "Gurrumul History (I Was Born Blind)", was featured on the British TV Show, Skins.
On New Year's Eve 2008, Yunupingu performed on Sydney New Year's Eve 2008–09 with his song "Bäpa". He is the 2009 Northern Territory recipient of Australian of the Year and he performed "Bäpa" at the ceremony.
In 2009 a portrait of Gurrumul by Guy Maestri won Australia's major art prize, The Archibald Prize.[SUP][11][/SUP]
He was again awarded the Jägermeister Australian Independent Record (AIR) Award for 'Best Independent Blues and Roots Album' in 2011 for his album RRAKALA.[SUP][12][/SUP]
In 2012 Gurrumul was one of the contributing vocalists on Gary Barlow's commemorative single 'Sing' for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, which features artists from across the Commonwealth. He performed 'Sing' live at the Diamond Jubilee Concert on Monday 4 June 2012 together with many of the song's contributing artists.[SUP][13][/SUP]
In 2013, Gurrumul joined Delta Goodrem for a special performance of Bayini on The Voice Australia.[SUP][14][/SUP]
[INDENT]Yolngu are deep thinking philosophical people. The words in the song refer to many families sitting together on the beach looking to waves and sea, the horizon, contemplating.[SUP][15][/SUP]
[/INDENT]This performance was in celebration of National Reconciliation Week. The single was released on May 31 and debuted at #4 on the ARIA singles charts.

i believe Gurrumul died a few months ago from alcohol related liver failure....

[video=youtube;x8-YMpYbRqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY[/video]

my thoughts on Gurrumul....

this guy has one of the most beautiful,peaceful,soulful voices i have ever heard(sort of a black John denver in that respect LMAO!)...
i cant understand a bloody word he sings as its in his native tongue, but i sure can feel every emotion he expresses through his music...

we're pretty well getting down to the business end of the list, and im sure you guys will know a lot more artists in the remaining 19 as opposed to the first twenty-one,most of which a lot of you guys will be unfamilliar with.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Australian album charts 2023: CRAZY-HORSE 37 7,810 23-09-2023, 05:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Australian Albums charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 50 3,928 30-12-2022, 07:32
  Greatest Frontmen In Rock Music Head 19 5,304 25-10-2022, 08:04
  Australian Albums Charts for 2021: CRAZY-HORSE 51 5,861 24-12-2021, 19:51
  Australian Charts 2020: CRAZY-HORSE 50 7,982 19-12-2020, 09:17
  Rolling Stone's 100 greatest debut singles: CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,149 23-05-2020, 00:50
  Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time coykiesaol 25 7,302 21-06-2018, 19:36
Last Post: Lovely
  singers who have been in more than one classic group oldies65 2 808 25-05-2015, 02:13
Last Post: oldies65
  Do you guys think this is the greatest music video of all Time? jeffjeff 1 679 01-12-2014, 11:58
Last Post: Music Head
  Australian singers CRAZY-HORSE 19 3,209 15-08-2014, 02:11