Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the foundation up...
Listening to that Paul Butterfield cut in the HOF thread (blistering, by the way), I started thinking.

It's obviously to anyone with two ears it's a version of Crossroads.

[video=youtube;Yd60nI4sa9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A[/video]

It'd be interesting to go on the hunt for all the ways this Robert Johnson riff from 1936 has been used through the years. I don't mean just covers of the song, but the ways it's been used 'in disguise', I guess would be a fair term.

That's not a bad thing, though.

I wonder if kids today have any idea of the importance of this track.

Think about this....

A 2:48 track laid down almost 80 years ago, with one mike, one guitar, one voice...in one take... is so fundamentally sound that it's still being used today and is still legitimately relevant to music.

It's not a quaint bit of nostalgia that pops up once in a while. It's the foundation of music. I think so, anyway.

Some like the Cream version, but I think it gets messy through the middle, and sound isn't to my taste. A little too distorted.

Skynyrd's version from their Live! One More From The Road is probably my favorite.

Just thinking out loud.
"Sh-boom was the last great song ever written." ~ My Mom
and we like it
good thinking
just what we need
more thinking

For me I love Clapton's version! The guitar solo is fabulous!!!!!
uncle salty Wrote:Listening to that Paul Butterfield cut in the HOF thread (blistering, by the way), I started thinking.

It's obviously to anyone with two ears it's a version of Crossroads.

[video=youtube;Yd60nI4sa9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A[/video]

It'd be interesting to go on the hunt for all the ways this Robert Johnson riff from 1936 has been used through the years. I don't mean just covers of the song, but the ways it's been used 'in disguise', I guess would be a fair term.

That's not a bad thing, though.

I wonder if kids today have any idea of the importance of this track.

Think about this....

A 2:48 track laid down almost 80 years ago, with one mike, one guitar, one voice...in one take... is so fundamentally sound that it's still being used today and is still legitimately relevant to music.

It's not a quaint bit of nostalgia that pops up once in a while. It's the foundation of music. I think so, anyway.

Some like the Cream version, but I think it gets messy through the middle, and sound isn't to my taste. A little too distorted.

Skynyrd's version from their Live! One More From The Road is probably my favorite.

Just thinking out loud.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
oh, forgot to say
Cream for me
probably just because I heard it first