Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
01-07-2012, 16:36
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2012, 16:39 by SteveO.)
I love to see the way artists interpret other artists' songs !..that's why I watch the music reality shows from time to time..there are some very interesting translations of songs on those shows !!!!
I didn't really appreciate U2's ONE until I heard Johhny Cash's version !!!!!..also applies to several other covers that I've heard !
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 333
Threads: 4
Joined: Feb 2012
SteveO Wrote:I love to see the way artists interpret other artists' songs !..that's why I watch the music reality shows from time to time..there are some very interesting translations of songs on those shows !!!!
I didn't really appreciate U2's ONE until I heard Johhny Cash's version !!!!!..also applies to several other covers that I've heard !
I'm the same way. It's always interesting to see someone else's take on a song. And a lot of covers have actually gotten me to appreciate the actual song. A great example of this is the stuff on Glee. Like their versions and checked out the real ones and found a lot of great bands.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
That's what I'm talkin' about, Hatchet...good for you !
The movie Across the Universe showcases Beatle covers and it's excellent !..the music I mean !!!...lol
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 333
Threads: 4
Joined: Feb 2012
SteveO Wrote:That's what I'm talkin' about, Hatchet...good for you !
The movie Across the Universe showcases Beatle covers and it's excellent !..the music I mean !!!...lol
Haven't seen Across the Universe. Will have to look into it.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
An unusual one I have is Jon Anderson of Yes doing a version of Bob Dylan's 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' from the Yes compilation 'Friends & Relatives' Quite like it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 42
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2012
I have heard several bad covers, Boybands just love to re- hash work, and I don't generally agree wit it.
the worst cover of a song I have heard??? Gareth Gates-Spirit in the Sky. Truly truly aweful!!!!!
Best one? Isaac Hanson singing Ain't No Sunshine. He did it live, and it was very good.
Posts: 289
Threads: 13
Joined: Jan 2012
Some other great covers i remembered:
Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind
Eddie Hazel - California Dreamin'
Miles Davis - Summertime
Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sheriff
Posts: 119
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2012
ruthie foster.... don't want to know about evil.......john myrtyn blind boys of alabama...way down in the hole.....tom waits boz scaggs...loan me a dime...fenton robinson mother earth....mother earth.........memphis slim
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
You know what makes me crazy? A Thread like this, talking about and listing nothing but songs yet with no/few no inserted links. I can understand not linking the drek (there's enough wrong-o music) but if you wish to make a point positively about a version, especially an odd or left-field version, link the durn thing. Just too easy to do and lends credibility to a post. End of rant. Back to regularly scheduled programming...
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
[QUOTE=JonG; I think the first to perform it was the Bobby Fuller Four.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Classic staring-down-LEOs-and-losing song.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI << in the mode of any of those three who perished the day the music died, one particularly. Mr. Fuller had an, er, fuller career than just this song:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bobby-ful.../biography