Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Religion & Music...
#1
Does Religion in music bother you ??

If someone wants to address their faith through their music, does it put you off ??

I think I have a bit of a mixed attitude to this issue. I am, at very best, agnostic, so have a bit of a blind spot when artists get a bit too religious. However, religious classical works don't bother me in the same way.

I have most of Bob Dylan's recorded output, but there is a large gap where his born again period occurs. Should I seek to rectify this ??
Reply
#2
actually I kind of found religion in music, but not the christian, kabala, or the main stream kind. More of the universal kind, the whole light, vibration, mass, and energy kind of religion. The religion they wont and don't teach you about except in sacred geometry. Guy's like Dan Winter, C.W. Leadbeater and Ann Griswold Tyng. They kind of teach you the old Hermetic style of god, not the metaphorical concept of what might be god, or what's found in a book. I guess you could say it's the alchemy of the sounds and groups as they put for a unified message between them that makes our conscious what it is.
Reply
#3
I think music is a way that you can speak right to the core of someones being, weather that is for the good or the bad.

there isnt much else i know of that can do that.

as for religious views in music, i think they have thier place. along side every other type. Does it annoy me or upset me? No. Because i simply dont listen to it (the best part of music, utta control by the user) just change the radio station or cd or tape or record or press next on your mp3 player etc....

i think you get the point

syn
Reply
#4
I think it helps to distinguish religion or spirituality in music from preaching in music. Over-the-hill rock stars force-feeding you their "born-again" experience, or those cheesy stations on the radio seem to put the message ahead of the music at great expense to the music.

I'll take good music any way I can get it. A band can be any religion they want, or sing about whatever they want, as long as they don't suck.
Reply
#5
I think you're right, Kevin. It's the preaching that I have an issue with.

I find any attempt to overtly persuade me to think in a particular way is a bit of a no no.

Maybe I need to loosen up a little ?!
Reply
#6
I'm not sure about the Bob Dylan, but I think religion in music can be done well if #1 it's good music and #2 it's not supposed to be a sermon+rock song. A good example is

Lightning Crashes
by Live

or Angel (Acoustic) by Jimi Hendrix

These are excellent songs that have religion in them. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.
Reply
#7
Some bands do it and I don't even notice. But sometimes it gets to be a bit too much, I think most people got annoyed with Creed for that reason.
Reply
#8
A discussion about Gospel music (white or Black) is off-the-table--nobody's trying to slip in a message--the music is the message. But how about cross-overs? Here's 2 obvious examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUZnlxuXaG4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt5BVuIv4t8 << yes, Voodoo (Voudun) is religion; also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnJtgggdhdg R.I.P. Pops--thanks for everything
Reply
#9
Tough question - when people get fanatical about anything, then it bothers me.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#10
Most fans here know Gospel is my favorite type of music. It is because of what it is about and it makes me feel good. I'm Pentecostal so for that reason you should be able to understand why I feel the way I do about Gospel music. However the music does not have to come from someone who only sings Gospel. There are artists I like such as Elvis who was a great Gospel singer but also sang Rock. We have a section for Gospel music so if someone does not want to listen they don't have to do so.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is this in my music collection? CMB1888 6 3,663 03-12-2025, 05:06
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Happy Birthday Music Head CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,273 24-10-2025, 12:33
Last Post: Music Head
  Importance of music johnnygees 32 15,430 04-02-2025, 11:42
Last Post: JeromeD
  Tring to explain why I like instrumental music Drealm 4 3,963 30-12-2024, 08:03
Last Post: JeromeD
  Any Artists(not just music) out there LHDesigns 1 1,816 15-04-2023, 09:34
Last Post: JeromeD
  Salutations Music Head. CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,798 23-10-2022, 15:04
Last Post: JeromeD
  Learning about music mixing Homer Bluth 2 2,415 08-11-2021, 08:11
Last Post: JeromeD
  "Progressive" Music coordinatednoise 8 5,674 06-11-2021, 06:30
Last Post: JeromeD
  Sometimes porn music is really good Drealm 23 9,210 04-07-2021, 13:55
Last Post: JeromeD
  Paying for compressed music : I still can't accept it Drealm 11 4,705 03-01-2021, 12:14
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: