Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Not an album of covers, not even different songs by 1 artist (plenty of those); rather, an album that replicates another one. Cheap Trick pulled this off niftily:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/sgt-pepper...0000829202 << love these guys--when they started they couldn't get a gig in their hometown Rockford IL--rapturous reception in Milwaukee, WI though, 95 miles (150 kilometers) away
Looking for other examples--contributions gleefully solicited.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Phish make a living out of this! They have played complete albums by The Beatles,Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd to name a few! I love this concept performed before a live audience! They also have several original albums of their own!
[video=youtube;3RHgpS06GYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHgpS06GYY&list=PL69F22F7472C9CCFB[/video]
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
I probably wasn't clear enough, but in looking through the Phish discog, I didn't see an album in which they replicated another's album exactly, beginning-to-end. There's devotion to another group and then there's rapture...as Cheap Trick showed.
Posts: 929
Threads: 3
Joined: Mar 2011
Here's a few:
The Flaming Lips - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtliIqF2HNY
Laibach covered the Beatles Let it Be Album -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiwmwqRhHI
The Smithereens covered the Beatles Meet the Beatles album -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUYf72sSLw
The Smithereens also covered the Who's Album Tommy -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMgGvoS9GQ
Dream Theater - covered a few full albums, Iron Maiden's Number of The Beast -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JbnExbILto
Metallica's Master of Puppets -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-i0Ne3s4E
Deep Purple's Live in Japan -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_JuMPW_...0AyGYLJMel
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
They play the white album song by song as my utube video shows!
jazzboCR Wrote:I probably wasn't clear enough, but in looking through the Phish discog, I didn't see an album in which they replicated another's album exactly, beginning-to-end. There's devotion to another group and then there's rapture...as Cheap Trick showed.
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
SteveO Wrote:They play the white album song by song as my utube video shows!
Not gonna start a who-can-stand-farthest-back-from-th- urinal contest but you can't do a 2-disc, 1;30;00+ album in 9 minutes. What you can do and what they did do is produce a brilliant pastiche of the album. Sorry, but that doesn't meet the OPs strictures. Gotta be the whole album, recorded in at least a strictly-aural form and available for sale. Haven't checked evilB's mentions but they doubtless do the do.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
24-02-2014, 20:42
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2014, 20:45 by SteveO.)
The Youtube video is continuous man ...let it play and play????

mile:The displayed video is only one of the songs! Click on that go to the 9:02 mark and then they start to play another song... and then another ,,,etc,a complete listen is required!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Here's a near-as-dammit cover album. Booker T and the MG's so loved the Beatles
Abbey Road, they did a complete cover of it, right down to stylin' the album cover. A
tour de force and arguably their best album.
McLemore Avenue. AMG's take:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/mclemore-a...0000307863
Tell you what, I'll grace you with the whole album HD--no vids but lay back in your brains and you won't miss'm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3af2QyD0PoI
My street creds are shot for not posting this one first.
I find it utterly shameful and a damning indictment that there's <7500 YouTube hits on this piece.
Posts: 93
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2014
Wait, the whole album covered? I'm (as usual) confused.
I think David Bowie did one, 'Pin - Ups'...not too bad.
And, i think the Flaming Lips did 'Dark Side of the Moon'...never heard it though, so can't vouch....
Beck's Record Club, etc...
God, I sound like such an ass.
Posts: 93
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2014
evilB Wrote:Here's a few:
The Flaming Lips - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtliIqF2HNY
Laibach covered the Beatles Let it Be Album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiwmwqRhHI
Damn, such a dummy I missed that Flaming Lips reference.
Liked Liabach. 'I, ME, Mine' esp...is a good cover.