Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
a cover album
#1
Not an album of covers, not even different songs by 1 artist (plenty of those); rather, an album that replicates another one. Cheap Trick pulled this off niftily: http://www.allmusic.com/album/sgt-pepper...0000829202 << love these guys--when they started they couldn't get a gig in their hometown Rockford IL--rapturous reception in Milwaukee, WI though, 95 miles (150 kilometers) away

Looking for other examples--contributions gleefully solicited.
Reply
#2
Phish make a living out of this! They have played complete albums by The Beatles,Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd to name a few! I love this concept performed before a live audience! They also have several original albums of their own!

[video=youtube;3RHgpS06GYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHgpS06GYY&amp;list=PL69F22F7472C9CCFB[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#3
I probably wasn't clear enough, but in looking through the Phish discog, I didn't see an album in which they replicated another's album exactly, beginning-to-end. There's devotion to another group and then there's rapture...as Cheap Trick showed.
Reply
#4
Here's a few:

The Flaming Lips - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtliIqF2HNY
Laibach covered the Beatles Let it Be Album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiwmwqRhHI
The Smithereens covered the Beatles Meet the Beatles album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUYf72sSLw
The Smithereens also covered the Who's Album Tommy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMgGvoS9GQ
Dream Theater - covered a few full albums, Iron Maiden's Number of The Beast - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JbnExbILto
Metallica's Master of Puppets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-i0Ne3s4E
Deep Purple's Live in Japan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_JuMPW_...0AyGYLJMel
Reply
#5
They play the white album song by song as my utube video shows!
jazzboCR Wrote:I probably wasn't clear enough, but in looking through the Phish discog, I didn't see an album in which they replicated another's album exactly, beginning-to-end. There's devotion to another group and then there's rapture...as Cheap Trick showed.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#6
SteveO Wrote:They play the white album song by song as my utube video shows!
Not gonna start a who-can-stand-farthest-back-from-th- urinal contest but you can't do a 2-disc, 1;30;00+ album in 9 minutes. What you can do and what they did do is produce a brilliant pastiche of the album. Sorry, but that doesn't meet the OPs strictures. Gotta be the whole album, recorded in at least a strictly-aural form and available for sale. Haven't checked evilB's mentions but they doubtless do the do.
Reply
#7
The Youtube video is continuous man ...let it play and play????Confusedmile:The displayed video is only one of the songs! Click on that go to the 9:02 mark and then they start to play another song... and then another ,,,etc,a complete listen is required!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#8
Here's a near-as-dammit cover album. Booker T and the MG's so loved the Beatles Abbey Road, they did a complete cover of it, right down to stylin' the album cover. A tour de force and arguably their best album. McLemore Avenue. AMG's take: http://www.allmusic.com/album/mclemore-a...0000307863
Tell you what, I'll grace you with the whole album HD--no vids but lay back in your brains and you won't miss'm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3af2QyD0PoI
My street creds are shot for not posting this one first.
I find it utterly shameful and a damning indictment that there's <7500 YouTube hits on this piece.
Reply
#9
Wait, the whole album covered? I'm (as usual) confused.
I think David Bowie did one, 'Pin - Ups'...not too bad.

And, i think the Flaming Lips did 'Dark Side of the Moon'...never heard it though, so can't vouch....
Beck's Record Club, etc...

God, I sound like such an ass.
Reply
#10
evilB Wrote:Here's a few:

The Flaming Lips - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtliIqF2HNY
Laibach covered the Beatles Let it Be Album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiwmwqRhHI

Damn, such a dummy I missed that Flaming Lips reference.

Liked Liabach. 'I, ME, Mine' esp...is a good cover.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artist/Album Association Game Music Head 8,750 1,908,941 11-08-2026, 12:38
Last Post: Music Head
  recalling songs on an album THUNDER 4 3,549 03-05-2023, 08:09
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  new Morrissey album on the way: CRAZY-HORSE 4 3,669 25-08-2017, 10:36
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Strange album titles Jerome 6 4,873 04-10-2016, 16:11
Last Post: Oceansoul
  New Album -by Shawn Mendes k5user555 0 1,982 08-07-2016, 09:07
Last Post: k5user555
  new Bob Dylan album.... CRAZY-HORSE 0 2,041 30-04-2016, 04:59
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  new Neil Young "live album" details CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,646 30-04-2016, 04:52
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Hilarious album covers Jerome 12 5,678 01-09-2015, 13:49
Last Post: Jerome
  Water's 'new' album Jerome 0 1,416 24-07-2015, 17:20
Last Post: Jerome
  Gilmour's new album Jerome 22 7,839 24-07-2015, 13:56
Last Post: Jerome

Forum Jump: