Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Mar 2014
Many say that Coltrane isn't one of the greats....So tell me, who is on of the greats compared to Coltrane
K also just kinda wanna find someone as good as Coltrane that I enjoy...
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Welcome aboard MD, Big Bass!
Coltrane IMHO is one of the greats!!!!....many others... in the sax player category I presume?..Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Jan Garbarek, John's son son Ravi Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderley, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, John Zorn, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Dexter Gordon, so many more..I know I forgot many!
However John rates right up there! He was considered a musical genius! Try his album A Love Supreme!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Mar 2014
That's my favorite of his albums and I'll have to listen to some of those
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
The only answer is...nobody. He's sui generis. There are others equally skilled in one way or another, but to compare greatness is an exercise in futility, akin to "What's the best looking state capitol building?"
Posts: 55
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2014
Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker,Paul Desmond My favorites.......
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Yes they are great sax players, Sankalp! Are you a jazz fan?...and welcome aboard MD!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 55
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2014
SteveO Wrote:Yes they are great sax players, Sankalp! Are you a jazz fan?...and welcome aboard MD!
SteveO Well i listen to all kinda music, Depends on ma mood...
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
same as me!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 295
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2012
SteveO Wrote:Coltrane IMHO is one of the greats!!!!....many others... in the sax player category I presume?..Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Jan Garbarek, John's son son Ravi Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, John Zorn, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Dexter Gordon, so many more..I know I forgot many!
I'm way too ignorant in my knowledge of sax players (just been getting into any form of jazz over the past couple of years), think you could point me into a direction to start with some/most/all of those guys SteveO? If it helps at all, I love "A Love Supreme," and "Meditations" from Coltrane and basically everything I've heard from Spyro Gyra (Jay Beckenstein).
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Happy to do it LMD ! Coltrane is a good starting point! Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker are older musicians before Coltrane but I would definitely start with these two Jazz giants! and before them...Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!