Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Whos Better Than Coltrane
#1
Many say that Coltrane isn't one of the greats....So tell me, who is on of the greats compared to Coltrane


K also just kinda wanna find someone as good as Coltrane that I enjoy...
Reply
#2
Welcome aboard MD, Big Bass!

Coltrane IMHO is one of the greats!!!!....many others... in the sax player category I presume?..Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Jan Garbarek, John's son son Ravi Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderley, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, John Zorn, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Dexter Gordon, so many more..I know I forgot many!

However John rates right up there! He was considered a musical genius! Try his album A Love Supreme!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#3
That's my favorite of his albums and I'll have to listen to some of those
Reply
#4
The only answer is...nobody. He's sui generis. There are others equally skilled in one way or another, but to compare greatness is an exercise in futility, akin to "What's the best looking state capitol building?"
Reply
#5
Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker,Paul Desmond My favorites.......
Reply
#6
Yes they are great sax players, Sankalp! Are you a jazz fan?...and welcome aboard MD!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#7
SteveO Wrote:Yes they are great sax players, Sankalp! Are you a jazz fan?...and welcome aboard MD!

SteveO Well i listen to all kinda music, Depends on ma mood...
Reply
#8
same as me!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#9
SteveO Wrote:Coltrane IMHO is one of the greats!!!!....many others... in the sax player category I presume?..Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Jan Garbarek, John's son son Ravi Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, John Zorn, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Dexter Gordon, so many more..I know I forgot many!

I'm way too ignorant in my knowledge of sax players (just been getting into any form of jazz over the past couple of years), think you could point me into a direction to start with some/most/all of those guys SteveO? If it helps at all, I love "A Love Supreme," and "Meditations" from Coltrane and basically everything I've heard from Spyro Gyra (Jay Beckenstein).
Reply
#10
Happy to do it LMD ! Coltrane is a good starting point! Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker are older musicians before Coltrane but I would definitely start with these two Jazz giants! and before them...Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: John Coltrane With Eric Dolphy - Evenings At The Village Gate Music Head 0 1,018 30-07-2023, 11:10
Last Post: Music Head
  John Coltrane interview — Japan 1965 JonWR77 0 626 17-01-2022, 19:16
Last Post: JonWR77
  Mickey Coltrane performs @ pips once a month RISEoftheTERRORIZED 0 1,072 04-06-2013, 22:49
Last Post: RISEoftheTERRORIZED
  John Coltrane OKCATHY1 35 11,845 17-05-2012, 13:06
Last Post: quayy

Forum Jump: