Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting African Musicians
Ladies and gentlemens!
The main idea of this post is to share and discuss African born musicians, which you think are worth attention.
"Nigerian singer, songwriter and dancer Flavour’s real name is Chinedu Okoli. He comes from Enugu State in Africa. As many African music icons, he began his career in a church, not singing in a choir but playing drums instead. He was 13 years old at the time. It was a pastor of his church that introduced him to the head of a brand-new musical company, by the name of Chris I Ordor. Mr Ordor was searching for the young and promising boys to turn them into musicians. Thus Flavour became a scholar. He chose drums as his main instrument. Flavour has three studio albums to his credit: N’abania (released in 2005), Uplifted (2010) and Blessed (2012). His second album turned out to be a great success, featuring such hits as “Adamma” and “Nwa Baby”. After that Flavour became one of the most popular Nigerian performers."
Will be glad to read your opinions and suggestions?
Fela Kuti is incredible!!!! His son Femi is good also. I like a lot of different music. I will check out Flavour...thanks for the share and welcome board MD, Favnuss!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Fela Kuti is a part of history. He was a great musician and composer and his name is well-known abroad. It makes me glad that Africa still has talents. Young and ambitious artists, such as Frank Edwards. There's something new in his art. He is a rising star, who dreams to make his mark in history of his native land. My favourite song after Frank Edwards is "Angels on the runway". It's very beautiful, calm and melodious. You can find more information about him if you like.
Thanks Amada for the share!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Ismael Lo has to be my favourite.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Armand Sabal Lecco - probably one of the best bassists I have ever heard. Check out his work with Paul Simon - the Concert in Central Park.

http://youtu.be/zDfT8tUtUiw unfortunately the music is out of sync with the video but you get the idea.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Thank you for your replies, great musicians,it's always always a pleasure expand your music knowledgebase. Also one of my favorite is Omawuni, really talented and interesting musician.
Some information about her: "Omawumi has revealed her talents in an early age. She was born in 1982 in Warri, sang in a church choir for a while, and became a law student at Ambrose Alli University after that. She even worked in her brothers’ law firm for a while. It was there that she became fluent both in English and French. In 2007 she entered a singing competition, won the hearts of million-plus auditorium and ended up in the 1st place. She is said to be very intelligent and she is also an avid reader. She was a head of the press club at a college, and also participated in a drama group. Her debut single saw the light of the day in September 2008. It was titled “In the Music”, and with the lyrics written in Pidgin English it became instantly popular. Omawumi even received several awards, as the Best Female Vocalist. “Wonderwoman”, her first album, was released in 2009. It featured some well-known African musicians, and sold 100,000 copies in one week. Some result for a debutante!"

African musicians were great bluesmen. There are alot of famous ones like Ray, and some of them are less known like R.L. Burnside. But nowadays noone listens to blues(it's a pitty). Although i don't really like rap , there are some Hip-hop interprets that inspire me like 2PAC( but he was not born in Africa).
Some months ago I meet an new performer http://music.naij.com/artist-608-skales .There is some nice music among his records. I've never heard about him before.
To say the truth, i don't understand why some guys become famous with awful music, and why really nice performers like skales are not as famous as they are.
Listen so some songs of skales. What do u think about his music?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  African Soul > American Soul mtthwibrahim 0 806 24-04-2012, 02:50
Last Post: mtthwibrahim