Posts: 196
Threads: 9
Joined: Jun 2014
I heard the album's first single "Vivid in the Valley" earlier this week on Sound Cloud, and loved the sound of it! If you want to hear the whole album you can stream it on rdio, but so far that's been the only place I've seen all of the songs available. They have a video out on YouTube, too, "At One Arm's Length." Directed and produced by Spencer Gordon, the video is a starkly beautiful mix of music and modern dance.
I've read some reviews that say fans of Chris Isaak and Johnny Cash will really like the lead singer (Hank Kim), but I to me he sounds more like a mix of Roy Orbison, Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe. I like the mix of his voice with Kelli Scarr's vocals. She's got the deep sensuality of a Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies) but with the rich soulful clarity of an Eva Cassidy (listen to Cassidy's version of "People Get Ready" and it'll make sense).
Anyway, the album is scheduled to be released on June 9, and the band will be performing on June 23 at Rockwook Music Hall in NYC. Maybe someone who attends can give a firsthand account/review (and pictures)?
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
You'll try these folks one time for the novelty value...then come back again and again--genuine stuff here.: Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgHdQzRaoo Then navigate to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_G9CJoaXI and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqrexxbUAA << many notches above "just pleasant" but the OP was OTT.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 196
Threads: 9
Joined: Jun 2014
Thank you for posting links, jazzboCR! I wasn't able to, but I was hoping someone else would like them and do it! I wish they had a video out for Vivid, it's such a sexy song!!
(What is "OP"? Thank you!)
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
MAG2NYC Wrote:(What is "OP"? Thank you!)
OP is Original Poster--the one who started the Thread. OTT is Over-the-Top--a bit too effusive. BTW, I'd have liked them if I was wearing a blind-fold--dig?
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 196
Threads: 9
Joined: Jun 2014
Why is it OTT to be enthusiastic about new music? I'm not saying they're the greatest band of all time, I'm just saying that I heard the music, really enjoyed it and thought maybe there might be others who would, too.
And if the absence of sight based on the look of the band is a prerequisite for enjoying music, then we'd all have to spend a *lot* of time in the dark!
Thank you for explaining the abbreviations!
Cheers!
Mary
Posts: 196
Threads: 9
Joined: Jun 2014
Other online reviews of the album (I wrote about the rather long winding journey of lead singer, Hank Kim, on my blog because I found it interesting, but it's not a "music review.")
http://www.iamnotamusician.com/silvery-ghosts/
Silvery Ghosts â Love & Other Ephemera
Album review by Dave Smiles
Fans of solo artists like Chris Isaak and Johnny Cash are guaranteed to find the music of Hank Kim to their liking. His new project, under the name Slivery Ghost, is to release a new album on June 9th and is called Love & Other Ephemera.The new album shows the musical maturity of an artist whoâs been away from music for five years; an artist whoâs dealt with much in his life during that time and has become much stronger in doing so. While sticking to the traditional use of acoustic guitars and pianos Kimâ adds some modern electronic elements to create an album that is both of the moment and timeless. A great album for those who have been through the tough times and have found their smile.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
MAG2NYC Wrote:...And if the absence of sight based on the look of the band is a prerequisite for enjoying music, then we'd all have to spend a *lot* of time in the dark!
.....or not watch music videos
Posts: 196
Threads: 9
Joined: Jun 2014
It's funny that you say that, Music Head. I rarely watch the music videos for any songs because I like to listen to songs without seeing the videos for the same reason I tend to avoid seeing movies made from books I've really enjoyed - it's such a personal experience that I don't want to ruin it with someone else's interpretation. (either that or I'm a total control freak. *laughs*)
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
MAG2NYC Wrote:It's funny that you say that, Music Head. I rarely watch the music videos for any songs because I like to listen to songs without seeing the videos for the same reason I tend to avoid seeing movies made from books I've really enjoyed - it's such a personal experience that I don't want to ruin it with someone else's interpretation. (either that or I'm a total control freak. *laughs*)
I confess to watching, but I usually regret it
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
I watch live music videos only usually!!!!!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!