Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Bands- Classic Covers
#1
I've been hearing a few really good "classic rock" covers lately and was just wondering what others were thinking about it.

For example:
- Seether, Careless Whisper (Cover of Wham!)
- In This Moment, Call Me (Cover of Blondie)
- Nonpoint, In The Air Tonight (Cover of Phil Collins)
- Korn, Another Brick In The Wall Pt.s 1-3 (Cover of Pink Floyd)

I make note of these only because these are the ones that I have heard lately and happen to really like them and am glad that the "newer" bands are binging back that "classic" sound Smile
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]-[COLOR="Teal"]keep it heavy

Rock N' Roll Chick[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
:rockon:
Reply
#2
The Black Keys did a cover of the Beatle's "She said, She said" that I really dig
"You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." -Dr. Timothy Leary

http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/
Reply
#3
you like covers?

check out disturbed's version of phill collins land of confusion

also... there are a few albums with varying names that only have covers on them.. my personal favorite is punk goes pop albums one and two. there are amazing punk and rock bands doing covers of pop songs like brittney spears toxic and katy perrys song i kissed a girl. check them out.
Reply
#4
Atreyu covered:
- Faith No More's "Epic"

Bullet For My Valentine has covered:
- Metallica's "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" and "Creeping Death"
- Ozzy's "Crazy Train"
- Pantera's "Domination"

Murderdolls covered:
- Billy Idol's "White Wedding"

Shinedown covered:
- Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man"

H.I.M., Three Days Grace and Stone Sour covered Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"

The Used and My Chemical Romance covered Queen's "Under Pressure"

The Vincent Black Shadow covered Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"

...Those are the ones that immediately come to mind..I'm sure I know of more.
Reply
#5
[quote=Hem]Atreyu covered:
- Faith No More's "Epic"

Bullet For My Valentine has covered:
- Metallica's "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" and "Creeping Death"
- Ozzy's "Crazy Train"
- Pantera's "Domination"

Murderdolls covered:
- Billy Idol's "White Wedding"

H.I.M., Three Days Grace and Stone Sour covered Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"

The Used and My Chemical Romance covered Queen's "Under Pressure"



really!? i have to check that out!
men wear boots
Reply
#6
I just found out that Alex Gaskarth (All Time Low), Juliet Simms (Automatic Loveletter), and 30H!3 covered Wham!'s "Careless Whisper."

I'm sorry, but I think it's horrid. There's absolutely no passion in the cover. I feel that Seether was able to accurately relay the emotion of the song. This combo (Gaskarth, Simms,..etc.) has failed completely. Instead, they added this "popular" electronic sound that takes away from the meaning.
....An analogy for society, anyone?

Music is supposed to be about emotion. This cover conceives none.
Reply
#7
Just the thought of all of those covers frightens me. I don't think music is "supposed" to be about anything. I don't think music has an essence, considering that it's such a subjective form... Same goes for art. Individual pieces can have agendas and even that is debatable, I think, considering that you can't really objectively assign meaning to subjective forms.

I'll try to think of some covers I like sometime in the near future.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Reply
#8
trbc08 Wrote:Just the thought of all of those covers frightens me. I don't think music is "supposed" to be about anything. I don't think music has an essence, considering that it's such a subjective form... Same goes for art. Individual pieces can have agendas and even that is debatable, I think, considering that you can't really objectively assign meaning to subjective forms.

I'll try to think of some covers I like sometime in the near future.

Very fair point. :redface:

I'll revise my former comment by saying that, to me, "Careless Whisper" holds a lot of emotion, and the cover did the emotion little justice. I personally feel like this song definitely has a destination point, but in this form, it is lost. Whether or not that's "okay" is up to the individual. I'm not a fan of that specific sound and it's relation to the lyrics, so I am inclined to dislike this cover.
Reply
#9
I really like the cover number of the Jacksons 'I'll be there ' by Mariah Carey.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COVERS ALBUM: Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit ~ Georgia Blue Ruby 2 1,309 09-12-2021, 20:17
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Ninja Sex Party - Under The Covers, Volume III Music Head 1 1,463 02-12-2019, 14:15
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Classic Rock Artist Rhett May Releases 70’s Infused Hard Rock Hit Rich Bitch ThomJones 0 2,249 09-09-2015, 20:31
Last Post: ThomJones
  All-Female tribute bands jazzboCR 11 5,006 21-08-2015, 00:30
Last Post: zcarenow
  Rock/Classic Rock/Prog Rock/Blues On Your Desktop unnamed 0 1,340 03-08-2015, 11:04
Last Post: unnamed
  SENSORY OVERLOAD - Psychedelic Rock / Garage Rock / Classic Rock / Alternative Rock sensoryoverload 0 1,161 09-05-2015, 05:54
Last Post: sensoryoverload
  Classic rock covers...on cello jazzboCR 0 890 10-03-2015, 04:37
Last Post: jazzboCR
  How do you place an artist who covers so much turf? jazzboCR 2 1,497 09-02-2015, 04:14
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Eurythmics - I Saved The World Today Looking for similar tracks / bands, robbi270 0 1,109 23-07-2014, 00:18
Last Post: robbi270
  sick album covers lol Mrrusty1 7 3,255 27-04-2014, 18:44
Last Post: jazzboCR

Forum Jump: