Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Live Vs Recorded
#11
I prefer the magic of the live performance - nothing beats hearing a room of 400 sweaty fans screaming out the lyrics to their favorite song. Or a stadium of several thousand, if that's what you prefer.

Improv is also an important factor. By nature, studio albums can't really be improvised. Tweaks and last-minute things are possible, but after the record is pressed, the little things become fact. Nowhere but the stage can a band jam for 45 minutes on a single chord progression.

Of course, sometimes studio stuff simply sounds better. AFI and Slipknot are two examples at the top of my brain, but there are thousands more.

I don't think there really is a better option, it's really a matter of opinion.

That's how it is for me, anyway.
Reply
#12
Live VS recorded? Good question and I have an answer that have always been the same: Recorded

I don't really know why, but I never enjoyed live stuff, real or on a cd. I never buyed a live cd from any of my favorites band. I have the whole discography of many artists, but only studio, real albums; not even one live cd. I don't even buy shows on DVD.

For me, the studio is THE place for an artist to do exactly what he wants to do, with no limitations. For me, the vision, the way he see his work completed and perfect is something you can never get live. Only in studio he can achieve the music the way he really wants it.

Sometimes I think that one of the best thing technology have done is to create a support for recording music. Imagine Mozart in the studio; he could have recorded it exactly the way he wants.

So yes, live performance is great for the ambiance, lot of fans reunited with the band and some improvisation and new things, but nothings compare to studio for me.
Reply
#13
I just want/have to say I'm so relieved to have found a place where people actually take a minute to think about music. It's so nice to read thoughtful opinions..

Loser moment over.


All I have to add is this:

The live show is always the most special for me. I like feeling at one with the band and the crowd. At that moment, we are all on the same page sharing the same passion. And it's real. Vocals and what-not have not been "dressed up."

But looking at recordings, both live and studio, I typically prefer the studio. Maybe it's a bad thing that I'm more inclined to listen to a song that flows a bit more smoothly? However, there are a few select songs that carry ten times the power when recorded live. Sometimes hearing how utterly raw a song is makes it that much better.

I realize I'm not really posing anything new- just wanted to throw that tidbit in there.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Jeff Buckley - Live A L'Olympia Music Head 0 401 03-05-2026, 12:14
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Koe Wetzel - Live From The Damn Near Normal Tour Music Head 0 825 14-03-2025, 12:08
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Bobby Weir & Wolf Bros - Live In Colorado Music Head 1 1,061 05-03-2022, 20:53
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEWSINGLE: Kid Rock - dont tell me how to live. CRAZY-HORSE 0 758 24-11-2021, 13:12
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Garcia Live Volume 15 R_burke 4 1,346 02-02-2021, 14:54
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW ALBUM: Neil Young "ROXY:tonights the night - live!" CRAZY-HORSE 3 2,821 08-01-2019, 15:32
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  15 epic live PRINCE moments of the last 35 years Mercury7 0 1,419 21-04-2016, 19:50
Last Post: Mercury7
  FOREIGNER records live album in Detroit. See the pics! Mercury7 0 1,245 25-08-2015, 14:02
Last Post: Mercury7
  chris kriebel - Live From The Bedroom kriebel17 3 2,225 23-08-2015, 18:06
Last Post: kriebel17
  Amazing live performance from Mo Evans & Stephanie Fraser geeeaidan 0 1,170 13-04-2015, 16:14
Last Post: geeeaidan

Forum Jump: