Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
You are right Steve, Ligeti is great (very atmospheric). In the UK, they used to cut the corner out in a curve or put a bandsaw cut in the corner of covers of cheap imports. I used to travel to the Virgin, HMV and Our Price record shops in Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road in Central London to buy them. It was worth the cost of the train fair in those days and I loved the London record shops anyway. I don't know if they still exist.

I had a friend who was obsessed with 2001 and he bought the soundtrack on cassette. I don't think he was bothered about the music as long as it reminded him of the film.

Deodato recorded a jazz version of Also Sprach Zarathustra, which I haven't heard for some time. I don't know if I would still like his version.
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It
SteveO Wrote:Ligeti is great! I got my Space Odyssey album in a discount bin years ago, the bottom right corner was cut out of the cover,,,idiots! ..lol
that is how they identified albums as discontinued items, which became known as cutouts and ended up in the discount bins

Oh the treasures I discovered in the discount bins over the years! If one knows their music then you can grab some real steals in the cheapo bins! Big Eras, yes I am familiar with Deodato and I haven't listened to him in years also....must listen to the live Tomita album I have , this reminds me.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
SteveO Wrote:Oh the treasures I discovered in the discount bins over the years! If one knows their music then you can grab some real steals in the cheapo bins!
that's how I discovered Leonard, with the Songs Of album
used to have first crack at those when they hit the door
management has it's privileges
part of why I have a 3500 album collection

SteveO Wrote:Oh the treasures I discovered in the discount bins over the years! If one knows their music then you can grab some real steals in the cheapo bins! Big Eras, yes I am familiar with Deodato and I haven't listened to him in years also....must listen to the live Tomita album I have , this reminds me.

Which live Tomita? Is it Kosmos?
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It
Big Ears Wrote:Deodato recorded a jazz version of Also Sprach Zarathustra, which I haven't heard for some time. I don't know if I would still like his version.

What the hey, guy, give a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJK3eUP5Hvg << some BG by the Israeli uploader (I'm assuming here but the ad was in Hebrew).
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
The Live in New York!

[Image: 4189TgDbJQL.jpg]

Big Ears Wrote:Which live Tomita? Is it Kosmos?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
^ It looks interesting.
Tchaikovsky's Dumka*.*
Abandoned Toys

[video=youtube;grBK_DALGgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBK_DALGgM[/video]