Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Ronson - Uptown Special
enters the Billboard chart this week at #5

Spotify online listen
3.5 of 5.0 by allmusic

4th album
evryone loves the Bruno track
only one other tune uses that funk (below)
other than those, not sure how to peg this
Tame Impala vocalist gets 3 tracks
thus my placement of this

artist website - http://www.markronson.co.uk/

Bio - from allmusic

[Image: MI0003809882.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

Mark Ronson is a sought-after turntablist who's worked with such diverse artists as Macy Gray, Jay-Z, and comedian Jimmy Fallon. The stepson of guitarist Mick Jones
of Foreigner, Ronson spent the first eight years of his life growing up in England. Having played guitar and drums from an early age, it wasn't until moving to New York
City with his mother that Ronson discovered DJ culture. At age 16, already a fan of such popular hip-hop artists as Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys, Ronson began
listening to the various hip-hop mixtapes released every few months by DJs. Inspired, Ronson confiscated his father's record collection and began trying his hand at
mixing.

The young DJ with the diverse taste soon caught the ears and eyes of various socialites and New York celebrities, including fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger, who
featured Ronson, along with other sons and daughters of celebrities, in a 1997 fashion campaign. A year later, hip-hop mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs hired Ronson to
DJ his fabled 29th birthday bash. These and other high-profile gigs boosted Ronson's "hip quotient" and helped promote his more serious-minded music career. Fusing
his eclectic turntable skills with his knowledge of musical instruments and songwriting, Ronson eventually embarked on his first solo project. Featuring such diverse
guest artists as dancehall rapper Sean Paul, hip-hop artist Mos Def, Jack White of the White Stripes, and Rivers Cuomo of Weezer, Ronson's debut album, Here
Comes the Fuzz, appeared on Elektra in 2003.

After releasing his debut album, Ronson kept busy producing tracks for a number of artists including Amy Winehouse, whose 2006 album Back to Black earned critical
praise in large part for Ronson's throwback, Motown-influenced production. His own sophomore effort, a collection of cover songs called Version, dropped in 2007. In
2010, Ronson began performing under the moniker Mark Ronson & the Business Intl and released his third studio album, Record Collection, featuring the single "Bang
Bang Bang." Taking time out in 2011 to marry French actress and singer Joséphine de La Baume, Ronson wouldn't return to the studio until 2013 to start work on his
fourth album, Uptown Special. Featuring collaborations with the likes of Bruno Mars, Mystikal, Tame Impala's Kevin Parker, Hudson Mohawke, and Simian Mobile
Disco's James Ford, Uptown Special also featured lyrics written by novelist Michael Chabon. The album was released in January 2015.

Album Review - from allmusic

[Image: MI0003815279.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

What do you do when you're a connected and funded musician/producer who, like many others pushing 40 or greater, is disappointed with commercial music made by
and for people born after your favorite era of music? If you're Mark Ronson, you dial a Pulitzer-winning novelist, snare a sympathetic group of stars, session giants, and
unknowns, including a singer discovered during a talent quest through churches from New Orleans to Chicago, and record another tribute to your childhood soundtrack.
Indeed, apart from the involvement of Michael Chabon, whose lyrics color nine of the 11 songs, Uptown Special is business as usual for Ronson and co-pilot Jeff
Bhasker. The two songs that don't involve Chabon made the earliest and deepest impressions. Bruno Mars showcase "Uptown Funk," despite aiming for early Time and
landing closer to a second-tier trifle -- One Way's "Let's Talk," for instance -- topped pop charts in a number of territories and went platinum in Ronson's native U.K. "Feel
Right," led by Mystikal at his vulgar and ebullient best, splits the difference between Bobby Byrd and Son of Bazerk. Everything else was co-written with Chabon, whose
somewhat surreal scenes are matched with predominantly hazier and freewheeling sounds. These songs, including two highlights that boast the dynamite rhythm section
of Willie Weeks and Steve Jordan, as well as lazing vocals from relative youngsters Andrew Wyatt and Kevin Parker, tend to evoke summery soft rock/smooth soul
hybrids of the mid- to late '70s, or certain songs by later practitioners like Phoenix and Daft Punk. "I Can't Lose" is the lone Chabon song that breaks a sweat -- thick,
twisted synth funk that borrows from Soho's "Hot Music" and (cleanly) lifts from Snoop Dogg's "Ain't No Fun," featuring newcomer Keyone Starr in the role of Evelyn King
(or maybe Mary Jane Girls' JoJo McDuffie). Neatly tied together by opening and closing cuts that include Stevie Wonder on harmonica, because Ronson could swing it,
Uptown Special is another nostalgic fantasy that provides light entertainment and provokes backtracking.

the only other funk track
James Brown anyone
not bad but for the mf's and n's

[video=youtube;gb73FC6I_0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb73FC6I_0U[/video]

Track Listing

1. Uptown's First Finale
2. Summer Breaking
3. Feel Right
4. Uptown Funk
5. I Can't Lose
6. Daffodils
7. Crack in the Pearl
8. In Case of Fire
9. Leaving Los Feliz
10. Heavy and Rolling
11. Crack In The Pearl, Part II

....saves me listening to it....thanks.

Kevin Parker(tame impala) sure has come a long way since he used to jam with my mate Tem...
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

When Mark Ronson is mentioned, I always think of his work with Amy Winehouse.
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It
thanks for the memory jog Big Ears...i'd actually forgotten he had produced Amy...

her "back to black" album is a modern classic IMO...
awesome vocalist but her 'inner demons' destroyed her, such a shame!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Winehouse's husband, a waster called Blake Fielder-Civil, claimed to have introduced her to crack cocaine and heroin. Although they divorced, the addictions continued until her death. As you say, it was a shame. After her death, Ronson said he had lost his soulmate, which I thought was an unusual way of describing a professional relationship.
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Mark Seymour & The Undertow "slow dawn" CRAZY-HORSE 3 747 17-06-2020, 17:38
Last Post: Ruby
  Mark Lowry Lovely Linda 1 733 20-08-2015, 03:48
Last Post: Lovely Linda
  MARK RONSON featuring KEVIN PARKER(tame impala) "daffodils" CRAZY-HORSE 0 568 13-01-2015, 06:32
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ROOTS "walk us uptown" CRAZY-HORSE 3 989 12-09-2013, 08:52
  GVB (Mark Lowry Comedy) Lovely Linda 0 725 18-07-2013, 05:16
Last Post: Lovely Linda
  MARK MALLMAN "double silhouette" CRAZY-HORSE 0 871 15-10-2012, 07:05
  Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Hawk Music Head 1 953 05-09-2010, 21:59
Last Post: Thraak
  Mark Ronson News Music Head 0 838 02-02-2010, 13:26
Last Post: Music Head