Posts: 184
Threads: 92
Joined: Aug 2014
Just thought I wold reach out and see what people's thoughts are on this Nu-Disco revival thing that we seem to be going through at the moment!
It was this article in the guardian that got me thinking about it more
http://bit.ly/19zGQul
Quote:What's genuinely strange and intriguing though, is to find that the genre has been having something of a renaissance of late, in the dingy pubs and run-down clubs of Dalston and Hackney
I'm all for this sort of thing, so if you fancy sharing with me what kind of nu disco has been floating your boat.. Go ahead
[video=youtube;3xTAS922cT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTAS922cT8[/video]
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
I just hope no cats were harmed in the making of this video
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
I don't see this as any kind of disco. The originals had much stronger rhythmic elements. If anything this is a revival of '80's "New Wave" pop. The only commonalities between this and original disco is that it's dance music. This name Nu-Disco is only a marketing ploy, pure and simple.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
....i listened and thought the same thing Jazzbo....
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
No way is this disco. More like the New Romantics that emerged from the UK. 80's synth pop comes to mind.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
yea, what them guys said
explain yourself Mr. geeeaidan
who told you this was disco
disco aint' coming back
I buried that sucker 10 feet under
and it ain't gettin' out
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Music Head Wrote:yea, what them guys said
explain yourself Mr. geeeaidan
who told you this was disco
disco aint' coming back
I buried that sucker 10 feet under
and it ain't gettin' out
Well, at least disco used a lot of natural instruments, not just electronics, and the musicians were all in the studio, doing it together--the Philly guys anyway.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip62SRqJcYA
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
I'm not a fan of the 70s disco era, infact, it took me years to appreciate the Bee Gees disco material and I'm a big fan...
Also, a lot of disco songs mention the word "boogie", I cringe when I hear that word in any song....and that's snot a lie....lmao
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 184
Threads: 92
Joined: Aug 2014
Hahaha okey well maybe Disco wasn't the right word.. I mean more sort of 80's Italo synth style sounds
This is another album I found which might clear up what i mean more
[video=youtube;yergWdn968o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yergWdn968o[/video]
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:I'm not a fan of the 70s disco era, infact, it took me years to appreciate the Bee Gees disco material and I'm a big fan...
Also, a lot of disco songs mention the word "boogie", I cringe when I hear that word in any song....and that's snot a lie....lmao
From now on you are going to be known as Crazy Boogie Woogie.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.