Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
MOTOWN: Back-up Music
#1
MOTOWN
Back-up Music

Part 1:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a 2002 documentary film directed by Paul Justman.[SUP]1[/SUP] It recounts the story of The Funk Brothers, the un-credited and largely unheralded studio musicians who were the hand-picked house band by Berry Gordy in 1959. They were the band who recorded and performed on Motowns' recordings from 1959 to 1972.

The film was inspired by the 1989 book Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson, a bass guitar instruction book by Allan Slutsky, which features the bass lines of James Jamerson.

Part 2:

The Funk Brothers produced more hits than The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Beach Boys together. It was their sound, according to Mary Wilson of The Supremes that backed The Temptations, The Supremes, The Miracles, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Mary Wells, amongst other noteworthy bands during their tenure from 1959 to 1973.[SUP]2[/SUP] -Ron Price with thanks to [SUP]1[/SUP]Wikipedia, and [SUP]2[/SUP]NITV, 9:30-11:30, 29/6/'14.

I watched this doco on a cold
winter night in Tasmania some
55 years after this hand-picked
houseband, Motown, formed in[SUP]1[/SUP]
'59, the same year that Twilight
Zone was released and the same
year I joined the Baha'i Faith, &
won the most valuable player in
the midget Burlington baseball.

In 1973 they moved to LA and
I moved to the Barossa Valley
and Motown came to an end,
as did my first marriage back
in some other time zone, some
other life, seems like some other
person. You boys are getting the
recognition you deserve at last
even if some of you have gone
into that hole where no music is
played....Of course who knows?

Maybe you can all keep playing
in that land of light from which
no man returns, perhaps heaven
will have pleased it so,[SUP]3[/SUP] and who
knows what dreams may come.[SUP]4[/SUP]

I knew nothing of Motown back
then in those 14 years when I, too,
had my first demons, recognition
was slowly evolving, and I played
my own back-up music for a new
religion that would take the world
by storm and, in time, get its own
standing ovation as you did in TO.[SUP]5[/SUP]

[SUP]1 [/SUP]This doco, the last great un-mined musical story of the '60s, has finally shone the spotlight on this colorful cast of characters who toiled in "the Snake-pit" of Berry Gordy's hit factory at 2648 West Grand Blvd. in Detroit. They all reunited to promote the film.

[SUP]2 [/SUP]Steve Jones, "Motown's Funk Brothers cast long Shadows," USA Today, 12/5/'02.

[TABLE="width: 635"]
[TR]
[TD][SUP]3 [/SUP]Shakespeare, Hamlet, III, 4, line 174.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[SUP]4 [/SUP]ibid., III, 1, line 66.

[SUP]5 [/SUP] The Baha'i Faith....The film got a 7 minute standing ovation when it was screened at the TO, Toronto Film Festival in September 2002.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Ron Price
30/6/'14.
Reply
#2
Magnificent piece so far and I hope it continues. At some point in the proceedings, please list, discuss, maybe link to all those alternate Motown versions of the Motown hits. Each promising song was given to 3 or 4 different Motown singing groups and the best, picked by Berry Gordy, Jr. and committee, was issued, the others staying in the can...til a year or so ago. A disc was released of these alternates and I call on Mr. Price and others to discuss them. I think Mr. Gordy, Jr. was a treacherous, noxious rascal (but the I feel similarly about Herman Lubinsky), but then he was the driving force behind creating and promulgating a lot of the music of my era, so how angry can I be?
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#3
I really liked that quote from Samuel Johnson: "A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind. I'm not so sure I am that qualified to discuss "the alternatives", as suggested by jazzboCR.-Ron Price, Australia PS I thank jazzboCR for his comment and feedback.
Reply
#4
Funny and a little scary you have talked about The Funk Brothers, Ron !!! I was watching a rock duo two days ago and I asked them if they knew any Beatle songs ? The drummer quipped " not today " whatever that means. I expressed to him how much I loved The Beatles...then he said " Have you heard of The Funk Brothers....I said No, he said they really have a lot more hits than the Beatles, they played on tons of Motown hits ...I was baffled...and checked them out as soon as I got home!!!!
ronPrice Wrote:MOTOWN
Back-up Music

Part 1:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a 2002 documentary film directed by Paul Justman.[SUP]1[/SUP] It recounts the story of The Funk Brothers, the un-credited and largely unheralded studio musicians who were the hand-picked house band by Berry Gordy in 1959. They were the band who recorded and performed on Motowns' recordings from 1959 to 1972.

The film was inspired by the 1989 book Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson, a bass guitar instruction book by Allan Slutsky, which features the bass lines of James Jamerson.

Part 2:

The Funk Brothers produced more hits than The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Beach Boys together. It was their sound, according to Mary Wilson of The Supremes that backed The Temptations, The Supremes, The Miracles, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Mary Wells, amongst other noteworthy bands during their tenure from 1959 to 1973.[SUP]2[/SUP] -Ron Price with thanks to [SUP]1[/SUP]Wikipedia, and [SUP]2[/SUP]NITV, 9:30-11:30, 29/6/'14.

I watched this doco on a cold
winter night in Tasmania some
55 years after this hand-picked
houseband, Motown, formed in[SUP]1[/SUP]
'59, the same year that Twilight
Zone was released and the same
year I joined the Baha'i Faith, &
won the most valuable player in
the midget Burlington baseball.

In 1973 they moved to LA and
I moved to the Barossa Valley
and Motown came to an end,
as did my first marriage back
in some other time zone, some
other life, seems like some other
person. You boys are getting the
recognition you deserve at last
even if some of you have gone
into that hole where no music is
played....Of course who knows?

Maybe you can all keep playing
in that land of light from which
no man returns, perhaps heaven
will have pleased it so,[SUP]3[/SUP] and who
knows what dreams may come.[SUP]4[/SUP]

I knew nothing of Motown back
then in those 14 years when I, too,
had my first demons, recognition
was slowly evolving, and I played
my own back-up music for a new
religion that would take the world
by storm and, in time, get its own
standing ovation as you did in TO.[SUP]5[/SUP]

[SUP]1 [/SUP]This doco, the last great un-mined musical story of the '60s, has finally shone the spotlight on this colorful cast of characters who toiled in "the Snake-pit" of Berry Gordy's hit factory at 2648 West Grand Blvd. in Detroit. They all reunited to promote the film.

[SUP]2 [/SUP]Steve Jones, "Motown's Funk Brothers cast long Shadows," USA Today, 12/5/'02.

[TABLE="width: 635"]
[TR]
[TD][SUP]3 [/SUP]Shakespeare, Hamlet, III, 4, line 174.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SUP]4 [/SUP]ibid., III, 1, line 66.

[SUP]5 [/SUP] The Baha'i Faith....The film got a 7 minute standing ovation when it was screened at the TO, Toronto Film Festival in September 2002.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Ron Price
30/6/'14.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#5
Of course the Funk Bros. played on more hits than the Beatles or any 3 groups combined. It's a false or inapt comparison because the Beatles wrote their stuff and studio bands/ session bands don't. They helped clients realize their (the client's) dream, not their own.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#6
Here's a sloppily-edited wiki on those alternate Motown versions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Cellarful_of_Motown! Now AMG on the first 2-CD set, then some tunes:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-cellarfu...0000661047 << all the following are their picks to click--every selection on these discs, as Thom Jurek's essay makes clear, are terrif.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4WG9sd1P0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petLY1iDVac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuodPmYT22g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BIIKGANLY << How about a thunderous roar of approval for everybody in the UK's Northern Soul movement?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taphnndNz58 <<...Without their tireless efforts, none of these would ever have seen the light of day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJwqtlfP7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBEM5oIbqGs

I'll cover the other emissions in the series soon.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#7
Righty-tighty now onto Vol. 2 Stevie Wonder, the 4 Tops and the Supremes being put on the back burner? Hard to imagine. Here's AMG: http://www.allmusic.com/album/cellarful-...0000398186 And some tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpXkk2rxukg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFW3d7yQiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1iuo7E082g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3iTCGzgDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPX5V5_-E_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yD3wPvEW8 << definitely not the C&W weeper Both the wiki and AMG have this mis-labeled as "Crying Game"--leave that song-name to Boy George

Vol. 3 real soon
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#8
I thank, jazzboCR, for his contributions above.-Ron
[Image: user-online.png]
Reply
#9
To ronPrice and all others: "The good is getting better and the best is yet to come." Now starring Volume 3 (for which AMG just has a tracklisting):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av4AIOhP6LQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVNGkA_01g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f54W4vyIR6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkG8sh5o004
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXmK6EV31PQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXmK6EV31PQ
[/URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZ-4jfGuxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj95GfYdOJw *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y78eNJ12nY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOjMeW8pyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZH00begC04

* Had to include this--solid testifyin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqiOAzzcC1Q
BTW Stevie Wonder was pushing out so much product in the late '60's, Motown turned his name around for an instrumental disc:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/eivets-red...0000645199
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#10
Just wonderful, jazzboCR. Thanks for all your work in putting the above together for people here at this website.-Ron
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: RAYE - This Music May Contain Hope Music Head 0 596 10-04-2026, 12:30
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Joe Jonas - Music For People Who Believe In Love Music Head 0 1,695 04-06-2025, 12:05
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Marias - Back To Me Music Head 0 1,321 20-04-2025, 11:50
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SINGLE: Billy Joel - "turn the lights back on" CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,985 17-02-2024, 12:52
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Cliff Richard - music: the air that i breathe CRAZY-HORSE 0 898 02-11-2020, 04:52
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Jim James & Louisville Orchestra "back to the end of the world" CRAZY-HORSE 0 910 26-09-2019, 21:55
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Paul McCartney "back in Brazil" CRAZY-HORSE 0 974 19-09-2018, 09:07
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Calm, soft and spiritual music made buy handmade instruments only not modern new age! Bubo bubo 0 1,365 18-11-2016, 17:11
Last Post: Bubo bubo
  Deuter Music Is Healthy Medicine And Simply Makes You Feel Better Eugena 0 1,313 19-10-2016, 10:18
Last Post: Eugena
  Pick A Pack Of Dan Chadburn Music And Prepare To Feel Something Eugena 0 1,292 19-10-2016, 10:14
Last Post: Eugena

Forum Jump: