Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punk rock!!
I wanted to start a thread to discuss punk rock. Hope this is okay!

Here's a question: Social Distortion recently did a show on cable television. Does this make them punk rock sellouts?

[video=youtube;hE8XaFuUHy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE8XaFuUHy0[/video]
there are two words i cannot stand when it comes to music Mormo...
regular members here would know the first one im gonna mention....Genre
the second is "sellout/selling out"...
i dont get what the issue is with the latter...
muso's are in the industry to make money,period!.
they have to do whatever they deem neccessary to get known to make that money(or should i say 'make a career')

artists also get different influences over time, and that in return influences their music to a degree...
also their lifestyle/environmental changes change over time which can also reflect the way they do things,but it does not mean they are 'sellouts' IMO

so i dont like the use the term 'selling out'....

hmm...
Genre,
i'll leave that for another day
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

as for Punk Rock...
im old school with that stuff...

and IMO real Punk died in 1978/79...

the only modern so-called punk bands who ive heard who are anywhere near the same league as the SexPistols,Clash etc etc are Green Day and Dropkick Murphys.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:there are two words i cannot stand when it comes to music Mormo...
regular members here would know the first one im gonna mention....Genre
the second is "sellout/selling out"...
i dont get what the issue is with the latter...
muso's are in the industry to make money,period!.
they have to do whatever they deem neccessary to get known to make that money(or should i say 'make a career')

artists also get different influences over time, and that in return influences their music to a degree...
also their lifestyle/environmental changes change over time which can also reflect the way they do things,but it does not mean they are 'sellouts' IMO

so i dont like the use the term 'selling out'....

hmm...
Genre,
i'll leave that for another day

Please bring this up as a separate Thread--I promise you a lively but never acrimonious conversation on both topics.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:im old school with that stuff...

You young guys--I just don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5kcaHSiSd4
What a punk is: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...son%20punk << you really want to admire and emulate these characters? Really? Having seen the body types of most punk rockers, they'd fit right in...or should I say, they be fitted right in. Did you have another meaning in mind? Please explain.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:as for Punk Rock...
im old school with that stuff...

the only modern so-called punk bands who ive heard who are anywhere near the same league as the SexPistols,Clash etc etc are Green Day and Dropkick Murphys.

I respectfully beg to differ, Crazy Horse. Tribe 8 is still going strong and kicking punk butt!!

[video=youtube_share;vn56w4EObwo]http://youtu.be/vn56w4EObwo[/video]
Everyone has an Angel: a Guardian who watches over us. We can't know what form they'll take. One day, old man. Next day, little girl. But don't let appearances fool you, they can be as fierce as any dragon. Yet they're not here to fight our battles, but to whisper from our heart. Reminding that it's us: it's everyone of us who holds power over the world we create. -Sweet Pea
this is PUNK !!!!

[video=youtube;eAqeA5Hc0K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAqeA5Hc0K4[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I agree Crazy-horse, the term sellouts is ridiculous!! Some people think punk should be some tiny obscure private club and that any mainstream success is a bad thing. People like this probably haven't been part of a real scene and just are into punk to be different and rebel against their parents or whoever.

Green Day and Dropkick Murphys are both great bands and I would add Rancid to the list of good mainstream bands. To me punk lives in dirty dive bars in every major city and it's little bands most have never heard of.

jazzboCR, I actually just wrote one of my punk rock friends, Tony Bag 'O Donuts in prison. He was in the band Dreadful Children. The punk stuff I really love has criminal themes for sure!

[video=youtube;xYre9RtfUB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYre9RtfUB0[/video]

MAG2NYC that Tribe 8 video is awesome! Great music and imagery!!

SteveO, great video by GBH. I have not got to see them yet unfortunately.
If there was any ONE band I would love to see LIVE it would be GREEN DAY !!!! Tremendous entertainers and great crowd rapport ! Not authentic punk but a monster band in concert !

[video=youtube;K-SGeoAWK1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SGeoAWK1U[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I like Green Day a lot and think they get unfairly bad mouthed by many in the punk community.

I'd like see them live but that is kinda a big crowd for me.

A band I wish I would have seen is The Casualties. I was all stoked to go see them then some girl posted a blog describing being sexually assaulted by the lead singer and I felt bad so decided not to go. MDC dropped of the tour by the time it came to Boise but I bet it was a great show! A band I like called Pull Out Quick opened for them and they don't play many shows.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Smashing Pumpkins - ATUM: A Rock Opera In Three Acts Music Head 0 459 21-05-2023, 14:21
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: The Clash "combat rock + the people's hall" CRAZY-HORSE 0 323 29-05-2022, 09:25
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Kid Rock "we the people (lets go brandon)" CRAZY-HORSE 0 311 26-03-2022, 03:23
  NEW ALBUM: Black Keys - Let's Rock Music Head 1 871 11-07-2019, 21:05
  NEW ALBUM: Bob Mould "sunshine rock" CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,012 24-02-2019, 14:16
Last Post: Music Head
  One Ok Rock - Ambitions Music Head 1 662 31-01-2017, 17:16
Last Post: bob_32_116
  You Can Listen To Free Music From Italian Pop Rock Band The General Brothers BobMoran 0 1,005 08-06-2016, 02:00
Last Post: BobMoran
  Punk Rock Doodles of The Ramones dennis1077 0 867 27-05-2016, 01:00
Last Post: dennis1077
  Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid Music Head 1 1,287 16-05-2016, 02:26
Last Post: SteveO
  Let's try Southeast Asian alternative rock Zenithblue1912 2 985 06-05-2016, 22:00
Last Post: Fandango1