Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
CHRIS REA  (73)

lets go for this one:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

NEIL SEDAKA  (85)

one of the greatest songwriters of the rock era.

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Laura Pergolizzi aka LP was born on this day in 1981, in Long Island, New York. I am not going down the whole pronoun road - seriously - who cares? 

She's a musician, singer and songwriter who aside from her solo albums has written material for the likes of Cher, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, Rita Ora, Mylene Farmer, and so on and so forth - intriguingly, Joe Walsh appears on that list too! I haven't listened to any of her albums but am familiar with her "Lost On You" which is pretty striking and memorable - an unusual personage who uses her voice adroitly and to good effect IMHO, in this instance at any rate! 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
WILLIE NELSON  (91)

is it the benefits of THC which keep him going???
still performing and has a new album out shortly...

lets go for this one:

yes it is
and me too

It’s Annie Haslam’s birthday today – she was born in 1947, in Lancashire England.

Gifted with an absolutely effortless 5 octave range, she has a distinctive and super clear voice IMHO – even in later life. She sings in a classical style I’d say, with very little embellishment - dead true. Lead vocalist for Renaissance in their heyday which was the early to late 70’s, the band was in hiatus for many years but found a new lease of life in the noughties releasing Tuscany in 2001 and Symphony of Light in 2013. She’s also had a solo career and contributed her considerable vocal talents to a number of albums by various artists. I was curious about her rendition of “Turn of the Century”, with Steve Howe – here is it … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwBwTVN0YY … it doesn’t have the shimmering celestial choir quality of Jon Anderson and Yes, but it’s pretty good, I thought. Having Mr Howe playing and producing no doubt helped!

I don’t have any Renaissance albums but she sings on two other albums I own – David Minasian’s Sound of Dreams (2020) and David Sinclair’s Stream (2015).

However, staying with flipping things over, I chose to listen to the full Renaissance album Turn of the Cards, from 1974 …

This, the final track, is a tribute to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. The lyrics of the song were written by Michael Dunford and Betty Thatcher (she wrote most of Renaissance's lyrics from what I gather) who were inspired by Solzhenitsyn’s autobiographical  ‘One Day in the Life of Ivan Dinesovich’ …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 1,895 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 1,420 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 4,069 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,232 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO