3.0 of 5.0 by allmusic

debut album
best one of the year for me
definite Winehouse feel on some tracks
on my list

artist website - http://elleking.com/

Bio - from allmusic

[Image: MI0003827654.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

Singer and songwriter (and occasional actor) Elle King was born Tanner Elle Schneider in 1989 in Los Angeles, the daughter of London King and Rob Schneider (the
actor and comedian and former cast member of Saturday Night Live). She grew up in Ohio, and after hearing the all-girl pop-punk band the Donnas when she was nine
years old, she decided she wanted to be a singer and musician. By 13 she was playing guitar, and later learned to play the banjo as well. King began street busking and
gigging around New York at the age of 16, moving to Philadelphia to attend the University of Arts, majoring in painting and film. After college she spent time in
Copenhagen and Los Angeles before returning to New York to settle in Brooklyn. Signing to RCA Records, she released a debut four-song EP, The Elle King EP, in
2012. A debut full-length, Love Stuff, arrived from RCA early in 2015.

Album Review - from allmusic

[Image: MI0003835722.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

Existing at the intersection of the two major retro-roots movements of the new millennium -- the beehived, swinging '60s soul of Amy Winehouse and the bluesy roar of
the White Stripes -- Elle King's debut, Love Stuff, feels like a record that should've happened prior to 2015. Surprisingly, King is the only musician to mine this territory
but she's not quite stuck in the past, whether that means the 20th century source or the canny revivals of Winehouse and Jack White. She knows enough to thread in
some echoes of the big-footed folk stomp of Mumford & Sons (not to mention a banjo she proudly brandishes in all her publicity material), a sound that comes to a crest
on "America's Sweetheart." There, King claims she's not America's Sweetheart and she spends a good chunk of Love Stuff putting on those aggressive airs, swanning
about like a spunky spitfire, a mean girl who goes where the devil don't go. A little of this rough-and-tumble schtick goes a long way, as do King's occasionally
overheated vocals -- she works hard to prove she's tough and her eager swagger proves exhausting over the long haul. That said, what works on Love Stuff has
considerable charm. When King walks a fine line between rock crunch and soul testifying, there's some fire: the swinging fuzz of "Ex's & Oh's," the spooky slow-grind of
"Under the Influence," the blues stumble of "Last Damn Night" and "Jackson," where she ties all these sounds together. Such highlights suggests that when Elle King
doesn't have to try so hard to prove her bona fides, she might wind up with a record that's hard to deny. For now, she merely has a promising debut on her hands.

think this might be a single:

[video=youtube;kv1gBViFIX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv1gBViFIX4[/video]

Track Listing

1. Where the Devil Don't Go
2. Ex's & Oh's
3. Under the Influence
4. Last Damn Night
5. Kocaine Karolina
6. Song of Sorrow
7. America's Sweetheart
8. I Told You I Was Mean
9. Ain't Gonna Drown
10. Jackson
11. Make You Smile
12. See You Again

ive put it on my list also from that one linked song...good stuff!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I also love this!!!!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Mr. Erlewine at AMG (quoted above) has an excellent perspective on this artist--if this Big Voice of the 21st Century curbs her excesses, she has a brilliant future. As he said, nobody else is really doing what she does.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Glass Animals - I Love You So Fucking Much Music Head 0 143 01-08-2024, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Crosses - Goodnight, God Bless, I Love U, Delete. Music Head 0 362 31-10-2023, 11:39
  NEW SONG: Mitski - My Love Mine All Mine Music Head 0 479 09-10-2023, 11:29
  NEW SONG: Kid LAROI - Love Again Music Head 0 439 12-02-2023, 11:56
  NEW ALBUM: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard "changes" CRAZY-HORSE 0 340 04-11-2022, 10:22
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love Music Head 1 344 13-04-2022, 23:15
  NEW ALBUM: For King & Country - What Are We Waiting For? Music Head 1 371 26-03-2022, 22:42
  NEW SINGLE: The Walters - I Love You So Music Head 1 575 18-01-2022, 12:45
  NEW ALBUM: Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power Music Head 1 445 11-09-2021, 06:29
  NEW SONG: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizzard "o.n.e" CRAZY-HORSE 0 298 29-01-2021, 05:24