There aren't many true innovators in any branch of music--one in jazz has just died. Here's a lengthy obit from the NY Times and a greatest hits column:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...tuary.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...-hits.html << It opens with an ad and then music
CAVEAT: Mr. Coleman was no fan of melody or harmony and I cherish both. I recognize his genius but dislike his music so no tune links.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...tuary.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...-hits.html << It opens with an ad and then music
CAVEAT: Mr. Coleman was no fan of melody or harmony and I cherish both. I recognize his genius but dislike his music so no tune links.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR


"Shape of Jazz to Come" is such a classic. R.I.P. Mr. Coleman.