Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$2.19 for an mp3?
What is going on here? So let's say, hypothetically of course, that an artist has been selling a brand new album for $20. Does that mean that we can soon expect that same album to cost between $30 and $40...or is this a ploy to try and get people to buy the whole album (which I could understand), but let's face it...not every album is worth buying.
Anybody have an enlightened, or even not enlightened, view on this. I just thought it was interesting to see. How do you think this is going to effect mp3 sales? I don't think this is going to help the rate of piracy, that's for sure.
"KICK OUT THE JAMS, KICK UP THE SOUL, POUR ANOTHER GLASS OF THAT ROCK AND ROLL, TURN UP THE BAND, FIRE IN THE HOLE, GONNA LOSE CONTROL TONIGHT...WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, I'M NOT AMERICAS SWEET HEART, BUT YOU LOVE ME ANYWAY!" - Elle King "America's Sweetheart"
http://www.needleinaplaystack.com
What site is charging this ghastly sum? 'Cuz the Usual Suspect is holding fast with 99 cents per tune...So it's for new music not covered there and thus just available from the artist and/or the recording company?
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
I happened to hop on I-Tunes to look an artist up quick and noticed her music was $2.19...I went back to look at the top songs and a bunch of them are $2.19. Amazon and Google Play are still $1.29 though. I see it as a good way of pushing yourself out of the game!
"KICK OUT THE JAMS, KICK UP THE SOUL, POUR ANOTHER GLASS OF THAT ROCK AND ROLL, TURN UP THE BAND, FIRE IN THE HOLE, GONNA LOSE CONTROL TONIGHT...WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, I'M NOT AMERICAS SWEET HEART, BUT YOU LOVE ME ANYWAY!" - Elle King "America's Sweetheart"
A lot of digital distribution sites set their own price and the composer has no control over the pricing. I put up some individual tracks on CD Baby a couple of years ago at 99cents each. Those same tracks starting appearing on other sites for 8.50 each. But the real problem is that after you have done all the mixing and mastering some of these sites process your audio files through whatever software package they have and the end result is hideous. Anyway, far more people have downloaded my music from file-sharing sites than have actually paid for it (predominantly in Russia and the Far East). It's just the way of the world. If you can listen to something it can be recorded. If it can be recorded, it can be distributed illegally. There is no way around this. The industry cannot stop it. What always amazes me is that people have no problem paying a dollar or more for a bottle of water, which will be gone in a few minutes, but when they are asked to pay the same price for an mp3, which they will have for life, they say - Geez what a rip-off. Makes you wonder if we are really the intelligent species or not. And as for the actual price - 99cents doesn't fool anybody. I price my work at 1.00 dollar per track, regardless of the length of the tracks. Some are longer than the average track and some are shorter. It balances out in the end. If you are a non-performing musician you will never make back your investment in the project unless it's mainstream stuff. Instrumental music is very difficult to sell online. But at the end of the day you do what you do because you enjoy doing it. If anyone actually bothers to pay for it, that's a bonus. I sell small amounts of my work from time to time - it comes through in drips and drabs. I used to have distribution on all the normal sites but decided to pull it because (a) the return is too small from streaming sites and (b) the quality of the final product leaves a lot to be desired. Most people can't tell the difference between the good and bad final products on offer, but to me the sites that are filtering your audio through their own software systems are creating an absolute mess of it. More exposure at the risk of inferior quality is not an option for me. If someone pays for something, however small the actual amount, then they deserve to get the best possible quality.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Excellent post Jerome...

And great thread starter Needle!!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

To reinforce what Jerome said about intelligent life and to tie this into a recent Thread:
"I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth." Stephen Hawking
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
I totally agree with you Jerome (well, all of you guys, including Mr. Hawking!!). The thing I don't understand is that, a mp3 store can't sell a song at $1.29 nowadays, let alone $2.19. It's not gonna stop the youtube to mp3 nation from continuing to getting all that music illegally. I understand, at the end of the day, people have to get paid but, man. I just can't see the majority of TSwift's fan base shelling out almost double for the same song, but then again, teens be crazy.
I for one have never bought anything from a digital source,
Nor have I downloaded music for free,
I prefer to have physical copy in my hand that I can read lyrics,linear notes etc.....

I have,however, transferred most of my cds onto an ipod for the convenience of travel purposes....

BTW,
I have filled a 160GB ipod with albums and still have a couple of hundred that haven't been transferred as yet
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I'm one of those people that has a new favorite song everyday (almost) and I literally can't afford to buy all the albums for each of my favorite songs, so for me, mp3 is a necessary evil at this point (you know, until I win the lottery or something). My perfect world would be flac. files at mp3 prices. I feel that would be glorious!!

I run a FiiO x1 with max capacity memory card. I figured, with this it's as easy as switching out the memory cards instead of walking around with 2 I-pods (even though I lose some user friendly operations) because you never know when the Madonna - Nine Inch Nails - Garth Brooks - Aaron Neville - CCR - Whitney Houston playlist vibe will strike (it's really hard being me sometimes).
LOL

I'm the opposite,
There's lots of tracks I love but ill never own them because I didn't like anything else off it when I heard it....

Classic example is Miley's " wrecking ball", that was IMO, the best single of the year but I cannot stand anything else off that album or of hers in general so I wouldn't even get a compilation when its released at some point in the future