Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Internet Radios
#1
Hey everyone!

Over the past few years I was trying out a number of online radios/apps (like Pandora, last.fm or spotify, soundcloud, etc). Despite the fact that they all claim they are able to pick tracks for you you'll like it seems to me they all fail. Are there better alternatives out there on the web?

-Damien
Reply
#2
I've often wondered just how popular internet radio really is. Do many people actually use this as opposed to analogue radio?
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#3
Jerome Wrote:I've often wondered just how popular internet radio really is. Do many people actually use this as opposed to analogue radio?

It's tremendously popular and isn't nearly confined to the examples given, which are all pick'em channels. On the "trust others' picks", SiriusXM is internet radio and check their revenue figures lately. I could hardly do without them...and I only drive around 25-30 miles a day. Wouldn't even consider analogue--way too limiting.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#4
damien Wrote:Hey everyone!

Over the past few years I was trying out a number of online radios/apps (like Pandora, last.fm or spotify, soundcloud, etc). Despite the fact that they all claim they are able to pick tracks for you you'll like it seems to me they all fail. Are there better alternatives out there on the web?

-Damien

I've been very addicted to online radio for yrs! I love radio apps too! I've tried all the ones you described and more like Rdio, and Radio Box app too. But lately I've just been going back and forth from Accuradio and Tunein radio. Tunein was just recently updated. Had problems with it since the previous update. But now it plays great again.
Reply
#5
Jerome Wrote:I've often wondered just how popular internet radio really is. Do many people actually use this as opposed to analogue radio?
Yep. I for one always loved internet radio ever since my first PC yrs ago! I always liked the fact I could get music from all over the world to my small part of the world! Local radio is fine. But sometimes you need more then local can provide. Like other genres and hardly or no commercials. That's why I love internet radio! Confusedmile:
Reply
#6
TechnoKitten Wrote:I've been very addicted to online radio for yrs! I love radio apps too! I've tried all the ones you described and more like Rdio, and Radio Box app too. But lately I've just been going back and forth from Accuradio and Tunein radio. Tunein was just recently updated. Had problems with it since the previous update. But now it plays great again.

Do you like how they recommend music? I was kinda ok with what pandora does but their 'radio stations' are basically playllists of 40-50 tracks that shuffle around - got bored with that soon enough. Or spotify - I got into Jaco Pastorious recently - and spotify also plays Joni Mitchel along his tunes. I know that he played with Joni for a while but that's for sure a very different genre.
Reply
#7
damien Wrote:Hey everyone!

Over the past few years I was trying out a number of online radios/apps (like Pandora, last.fm or spotify, soundcloud, etc). Despite the fact that they all claim they are able to pick tracks for you you'll like it seems to me they all fail. Are there better alternatives out there on the web?

-Damien

Your examples are all free apps [you take what you can get, apparently]. If you want to get what you want, try XMSirius and pay the money. They have home systems for sale cheap. Check it out.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#8
damien Wrote:Do you like how they recommend music? I was kinda ok with what pandora does but their 'radio stations' are basically playllists of 40-50 tracks that shuffle around - got bored with that soon enough. Or spotify - I got into Jaco Pastorious recently - and spotify also plays Joni Mitchel along his tunes. I know that he played with Joni for a while but that's for sure a very different genre.
Yeah I usually do like how they recommend music. Accuradio being among those apps that have their own "stations". I haven't heard the same tracks in there, but I go into different channels or apps. It depends on my mood what app I go into. I'm usually listening to regular stations like in tunein.
Reply
#9
Nowadays there are also podcasts, or prerecorded radio shows, they cover a wide variety of topics, from music, to pop culture, anything under the sun really.
Saltsjöbygdens Spelmansgille - Check out our Swede classical group! Wink
Reply
#10
jazzboCR Wrote:Your examples are all free apps [you take what you can get, apparently]. If you want to get what you want, try XMSirius and pay the money. They have home systems for sale cheap. Check it out.

Not exactly free. I pay for them but what it get's me is an ability to skip tracks I don't like and removes ads. I am more interested in aspect of music discovery. For example I really love how fretless bass sounds and I'd like to find tunes with fretless bass and play those. I could not find a way to do that with any of those apps. I wonder if any one feels the same about all those internet radios or I just want too much. Thanks for the tip though. I had XMSirius in one of rental cars - seemed to be good. Did not have much time to explore it. Will give it a try.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cool internet radio station CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,029 09-03-2016, 06:55
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Internet radio station all about Latin music jazzboCR 0 906 14-05-2014, 23:31
Last Post: jazzboCR
  internet radio show all about guitars jazzboCR 1 1,230 13-05-2014, 02:03
Last Post: SteveO
  internet charges and fees CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,365 29-12-2010, 12:33
Last Post: Tiggi

Forum Jump: